Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Trying to shoot the Milky Way on a very damp night, I got a horizontal line going through my images

I was shooting the Milky Way on a dark and very damp night.  I used my Canon 5D Mark111 with the 24 to 105 lens. I wiped off my lens many times through out the night.  I could see the dampness on my body of lens and on lens glass.  I shot with same camera and lens that night before it got damp and didn't get the line in it.  I also shot with same camera and lens the next day and didn't get line in images. So the only thing I can think of was the dampness of the night. But no one else had this problem that night that I shot with. I also covered the eye hole so there was not light leak. A week earlier I also shoot the Big Dipper and the Comet and those photos turned out good.  It was not very damp that night.  I would like to know what you think caused this line in my images.  I want to go soon to try to get better shots of the Milky Way.  Why am I getting this line? How do I avoid getting this line!? I appreciate any help you may have. Thank you. 

P H MKY WY W LINE.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to shoot the Milky Way on a very damp night, I got a horizontal line going through my ima

Seems like you did a good assessment. It happened on a very damp night. Use a lens warmer of some sort. Some folks just rubber band a hand warmer to the lens. There are also USB powered heater bands.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Trying to shoot the Milky Way on a very damp night, I got a horizontal line going through my ima

To jrhoffman75 - I have not thought of doing a lens warmer. Thanks for information.  photofun75