cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Squirrels are everywhere!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

We have bird feeders in the backyard. Whole kernel corn, cracked corn and black oil sunflower seeds are the fare. We were walking our puppies and this critter flattened himself on the fence that hides the propane tank. We have had seven squirrels feeding, chasing each other and chasing birds to keep the corn for themselves.IMG_7916 (2).JPG

Canon T7, 1/80, f/5.6,300mm, ISO 400 with some editing.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
7 REPLIES 7

Nice shot. Although I really dislike squirrels, except with biscuits and gravy, LOL! I have to use hot pepper sauce on my birdseed and suet or they (squirrels) just eat all of it within hours. The hot pepper sauce works like a charm.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Two bird feeders have the squirrel-proof system of a spring-loaded "door" that prevents squirrels from getting the bird seed. One old bird feeder is open and gets the corn. It's interestingt how the squirrels climb up and get inside it. The wife also spreads corn on the ground for ground-feeders as doves and other birds. We couldn't figure out why the hummingbird feeder liquid was going so fast. A squirrel learned to climb the shepherd's hook, tilt the feeder and drink the sugar water! Happened to spot one from t he kitchen window. They provide cheap intertainment that is rated "G" which is great!

John

Edward1064
Enthusiast

Thank you for appreciating these entertaining characters.  We love to watch these beautiful and acrobatic guys.  Having fed many baby squirrels in a wildlife rescue center here in California, I learned to love them.  That said, when we fed them in our backyard, they began chewing on the power lines coming into the house.  Twice they chewed completely through the aluminum ground wire to the house, so we had to quit attracting them with food. But, of course, they were just being squirrels.

Thanks again.

Ed

Try placing a rubber snake around the cable.  My parents lived in a retirement community in Florida. One lady had to replace her wiring in her car three times due to squirrels. My father put rubber snakes on each of the fender wells. Th lady did the same. Problem solved. Have heard of house fires caused by squirrels chewing on wiring in the attic. FWIW, wildlife officer calls them tree rats.Man Wink

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

Try placing a rubber snake around the cable.  My parents lived in a retirement community in Florida. One lady had to replace her wiring in her car three times due to squirrels. My father put rubber snakes on each of the fender wells. Th lady did the same. Problem solved. Have heard of house fires caused by squirrels chewing on wiring in the attic. FWIW, wildlife officer calls them tree rats.Man Wink

LOL, they call them "bushy tailed rats" around here.

The hot sauce works great and the birds seem to like it, in fact, the birds peck holes in the hot peppers I grow to get the seeds. I really don't mind the squirrels, they gotta eat too, but in our area they border on being pests. Still, we can't resist taking a pic or two of them.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I will remember the rubber snake.  But in our case, the chewed wie was about 20 feet off the ground and not near anything climbable.  

Edward1064
Enthusiast

Now that I'm thinking of squirrels, here's a pic that has a high cuteness index, to me.  On the fence outside our kitchen window.  This is an eastern gray, which is all we have in our neighborhood.  

.44F238F1-EA6A-4789-B60C-7055D052B226.jpeg

Announcements