cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shiny Snow - Cameras vs the Human Eye

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Back in January of this year, we had a decent amount of snow already on the ground and the next day lots of freezing rain.

During a drive the following day, the landscape looked awesome.  Especially once in a while based upon the direction you would look to along with the sun's angle.

When back home later in the afternoon, I captured the following.  Played with a circular polarizer as well to attempt to get something as close as possible as to what I saw.  Came close, but the human eye still wins 🙂

EO6A7850.jpg

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
4 REPLIES 4

There is a butterfly in our area called a Gulf Fritillary that has what appears to the eye to have silver spots, not always, but a lot of the times. But I have never been able to photograph one where the spots actually look silver in the photo. They always come out white even though when I pull the trigger, they are silver 😁

GulfFritillary-S2a.JPG

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Do you mean you'd like your camera to produce a "metallic" image? Can't do that. Best you'd get is white or some shade of gray, depending on light intensity.

@normadel wrote:

Do you mean you'd like your camera to produce a "metallic" image? Can't do that. Best you'd get is white or some shade of gray, depending on light intensity.

Not particularly, I was just posting another example of how the human eye usually wins. But you can use reflections to come close to shiny metal, like polished silver or chrome.

Ricky did a great job capturing the ice and snow.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

A polarizer can also be of benefit  to show the varying reflections of metal surfaces.

Announcements