cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasonable camera care

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

Although I shoot primarily sports using Canon 1 series DSLR bodies, I travel quite a bit and for short trips via air a Canon M6 II with its 18-150 is my camera setup of choice.  With the responsiveness of 1 series bodies, phone cameras drive me crazy and I chose the M6 as a reasonable compromise in being much smaller and lighter than my 1 series gear while being far more responsive and versatile than my iPhone.

My cameras aren't "shelf queens", they are purchased to be used and on this trip to Oregon to visit my daughter for her fall break the M6 II saw plenty of "environment" 🙂  The Pacific ocean was very angry and Oregon was its usual foggy/wet/drizzly self which is a large part of what makes it such a beautiful state.  My camera was in heavy fog, light drizzle, went up a 240 foot sand dune with me that resulted in my pockets being full of sand by the time I reached the top, and my daughter, camera, and I barely dodged a rogue wave at Tunnel Beach that backed us against the cliff with water to our knees. 

I kept the camera out of direct hard ocean spray and rain but it saw plenty of mist.  The only "special" care was wiping it down with paper towels when we got back in our SUV and it got a little more cleaning at our Airbnb each night.  On the dune, I did blow off the grit on the lens barrel several times when going from tele back to wider angle.  I wouldn't have changed lenses on the dune because of blowing grit but otherwise a careful lens change in the moist Oregon weather wouldn't bother me.

The camera and I have been back home for a few days and it continues to work fine.  The M6 II doesn't have the sort of environmental resistance of my 1DX III bodies and L series glass but with reasonable care and caution it is a little trooper and does just fine.  Bottom line, treat your camera well but don't let concern keep you from using it.  And bottom line for myself, I haven't been running enough lately because climbing that 240 foot dune was a killer!  It is a good thing I wasn't "wearing" my typical sports setup dual 1DX III bodies with EF 400 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 glass or Canon might have one less forum member 😂

Rodger

M6 Mark 2M6 Mark 2M6 Mark 2M6 Mark 2M6 Mark 2M6 Mark 2M6 Mark 2M6 Mark 2

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements