cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legacy Camera #1: PowerShot G1

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
I have disposed of very few of the cameras I have had since I began my photography almost 40 years ago. Today, I had a reminder of the earliest digital camera I got when I saw a  Throwback Review by Gordon Laing of the Canon PowerShot G1, released in 2000.

I still have mine, with box and all the various attachments, including wide angle and telephoto lens add-ons. So, I decided to dust my copy off and see if it would still work, and if so, how it would behave.
IMG_1211.JPG

I still have the original batteries and they still work perfectly, so after making sure everything was charged up, with the date and time reset, and making sure I was shooting in RAW - an almost unique feature of the camera at the time, I popped in a 2GB CF card and went in search of some sample images.

Now, with the very dubious weather - sunny bursts that could lull one into a false sense of security before squalls descended, I decided to stay in my garden, thus limiting the range of images available. Still, I got a few shots out that confirm it still works as well as it did over 20 years ago! I even got Boris, my garden helper to pose for me as he took a break from his busy work schedule.

Certainly, it doesn't have the dynamic range of today's tech, but I am impressed at how well it performed.
CRW_0005.jpg

CRW_0007.jpg

CRW_0008.jpg
Frankly, I have seen worse on images posted to the web from much newer gear...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
6 REPLIES 6

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Nice photos. It's interesting how the early photographers showed us so much that life offers in B&W.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Very cool. I have some early Powershot  camera's laying around too..  Lots of happy memories were captured.  Things have come a log way.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Ansel Adams was the one I was trying to think of earlier. Amazing how he was able to be so creative with B&W. Not sure how accurate this link would be but it's interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansel_Adams

John

I think B+W early photography is a good topic - perhaps we need a new thread to discuss the work of early B+W photographers, and we will continue with this thread as per the original post? Smiley Happy

With the issues of this camera being challenged with CA, greyscale imagery is actually a very viable solution for those who want to be creative at a rock-bottom price.  I may go out and do some more shooting with that in mind over the next couple of days and see what can be achieved! Smiley Happy

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard, maybe a "nostalgia" section? I recall a story of an African-American who got a camera when he was a kid. Went on to be a noted B&W photographer in his time. Never got the recognition he deserved due to his race. Sad. Anyone know who this fellow was? 

John

These two are the bark of the NZ Kauri Tree:

Canon PS G1 18mm, f/2.2, 1/60sec, ISO-50, available light, hand-held

NZ Auckland Waitakeres Kauri 03 a.jpg

Canon PS G1 12mm, f/2.2, 1/30sec, ISO-50, available light, hand-held

NZ Auckland Waitakeres Kauri 04 A.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements