cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High speed shutter fun

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

This is the only time I used the 1/8000 maximum shutter speed of the 1DX III.  The first three images are of a water balloon shot by a 22 rifle and the second set of four are of German Shepherd Cheyenne who has loved to attack streams of water since she was a puppy. All shot with Canon 1DX III and EF 400 F2.8 @ 1/8000 and 16 FPS.

I would rather be shooting soccer games but that is on hold until at least Fall 😞  I am about ready to create a tiny oval track in the dirt and see if I can convince Ladybugs to race around it...

Rodger

AS0I4696.JPG

AS0I4697.JPG

AS0I4698.JPG

AS0I4752.JPG

AS0I4756.JPG

AS0I4790.JPG

AS0I4889.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Very cool.  I think it may be possible to get even more freeze of action if using say a strobe/flash (set to low-enough power so as to use the shortest-possible window of time where light would illuminate the scene).

I believe Syl Arena used to gang-up around 8 to 15 speedlights (running them at 1/128 power).  Though I cannot remember what the flash duration was in that instance.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks Ray!  It would take a fairly specialized flash to freeze it further I think in the daylight (or a whole lot of speedlights running at low power). 

I have three Hensel Expert D 500 studio strobes which have plenty of power to override the sun but Hensel rates the minimum flash duration at 1/5,600 which is available in the 64-145 watt second range.  They make a special model (Cito) with minimum flash duration of 1/100,000 which should freeze about anything but it would be a very expensive flash head unless you had a real need to freeze extremely fast motion!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Oops; apologies if I failed to properly introduce myself a while back.  First name is Ricky.  I will probably add that to my signature.

--
Ricky

My apologies and I am not sure where or why I picked up Ray.  Nice to meet you Ricky 🙂

Rodger

Same here, Rodger.

--
Ricky

Announcements