cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portrait with a Canon D60

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Yes, that is the right way round... it's not the 60D.   I had purchased a Canon EOS D30 as a historical artifact and found that it took excellent images.   So when a D60 came available I decided to lash out and purchase a unit in excellent condition with battery grip, documentation and even the box for about $65US.

Taking it along to visit a friend I took a quick snapshot portrait of her grandson.   When I processed the image and trimmed it, I was impressed with both the performance of the camera and the EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6.

The Original...

Hunter untouched.jpg

Hunter 003.jpg

Processed and cropped.

The 28-135mm lens came free with a film camera I bought for $125NZ (about $55US).  The results yield hardly any noise, and amazing clarity for a system that would have cost less than $100US.

If, like many, one simply wishes to put images on the web this setup produces excellent images for a  minimal outlay.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Great picture!  Certainly one the family will want to frame and keep. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Ain't nothin' wrong with that now, is there? 6.3mp would still be enough for decent size prints, even with a little cropping. Oddly though, it accepts EF lenses but not the EFs versions.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of these to add to my collection of other orphan cameras. At the "right price", of course.

@BurnUnit wrote:

Ain't nothin' wrong with that now, is there? 6.3mp would still be enough for decent size prints, even with a little cropping. Oddly though, it accepts EF lenses but not the EFs versions.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of these to add collection of other orphan cameras. At the "right price", of course.

Hi!

My point exactly.  For minimal outlay someone could get a perfectly good DSLR and, with an investment in decent glass, produce perfectly acceptable images for posting on the web.

These images have been posted before, so apologies to those who will know that.  Both taken with the EOS D30, 3.3MP, 2000 release...  Both taken with the EF 17-40L USM lens, f/4, ISO-400.

Hand-held, available light, quite a dim building, minimal PP

CRW_0213.jpg

CRW_0212.jpg

So an even older camera can give great results.

As to the lens mount.  The EOS D30, D60 and 10D preceded the development of EF-S mounts and lenses, even though they had APS-C sensors.  The EOS Rebel (300D) was their first DSLR to use the EF-S mount, and the 20D was the enthusiast/pro-sumer development of that mount for the XXD range.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements