cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Set Up for Backyard Bird Photography

Christhephotog
Enthusiast

I start by first choosing the background for my image. For backgrounds I like to use a color that is complimentary to my subject. Choices of materials include pop up backgrounds, painted pressboard, fabric or painted cardboard. Size wise I like to use a background that is four feet by four feet in size as a minimum. For support I use A clamps to clamp the background onto a background support. I place the support typically twelve to fifteen feet away from my camera position. For perches I use a wide variety of natural and unnatural materials. Natural things might be anything from fungi,rocks, twigs, logs, stumps and branches. Non native items might be musical instruments, shovel handles or tools. I try to match the perch to the size of the bird. For example use a twig with a Chickadee and a larger branch for a Steller's Jay. I support the perch using clamps, wood screws bailing wire or wire ties. I place the perch next to a single port bird feeder . It is very important to place the perch in good front or side lighting at your cameras height. How far from your camera will depend upon what size lens you are using. I most often use a Canon 100-400 mm lens, which means I usually set my camera somewhere between six and ten feet from the subject and perch. I almost always use a photoblind with a tripod or from our back bedroom window placing my camera on a ground pod on the window sill. i have a photo hide/blind cut from pressboard to the size of the window with a hole cut for my camera lens. For camera settings I prefer using a fairly wide open F stop from F 5.6 to F8.0 to blur out the background bokeh. iSO is very dependent upon the lighting ISO 400- 12,600. Set UpSet UpBlack-headed GrosbeakBlack-headed Grosbeak

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Nicely done!

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you for your comment. I really enjoy photographing birds in my yard.

ccanada
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow! What a process you have there. It is neat to see your set up and the result. Thank you for sharing 👍

I really appreciate your comment. I have been photographing backyard birds for many, many years and I love sharing how it's done with others.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements