cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photographing the Streaked Flycatcher in Colombia's Boyacá Region

adamrainoff
Contributor

20230702-275868-2.jpg

This shot of a Streaked Flycatcher (Myiodynastes maculatus) was taken during my recent visit to San Pablo de Borbur, Boyacá, Colombia, using a Canon R5 paired with an RF 800mm lens and a 1.4x extender. The combination of this lens and extender locked the aperture at f/16, which allowed me to capture the depth of field necessary to bring both the bird and its natural surroundings into focus. With the light fading, I opted for a 1/90 second shutter speed, balancing it with ISO 800 to reduce noise while preserving the natural tones of the scene.

The bird’s streaked plumage contrasts beautifully against the soft, blurred backdrop of the trees, creating a sense of depth and movement. The challenge of working in these conditions — managing the narrow aperture and slower shutter speed — paid off with a sharp and vibrant image that highlights the intricate feather details and the personality of this flycatcher species.

This image represents my commitment to documenting the diversity of birds in their natural habitat while also navigating the technical aspects of low-light photography in challenging environments.

©2023 Adam Rainoff Photographer

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements