cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anoles - Not To Be Confused With Cannnoli :)

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

We have two species of Anole in the southeast. One is an invasive, the Brown Anole (Anolis sagrei) and one native, the Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis). The brown can't turn green, but the green can turn brown. Since they can change colors, most people call then a chameleon, but they aren't related. The Brown Anole is larger and very aggressive and is pushing the Green Anole out of it's range, but it's hanging in-

All of these were shot within five feet using the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM II.

Green Anole threatening a rival - me.

GreenAnole-00004aa.jpg

Green Anole

GreenAnole-00003a.JPG

Brown Anole threatening a rival. The light coming from the setting sun (behind) was perfect to make his neck fin shine.

Brown Anole MAL-001aa.jpg

Brown Anole.

BrownAnoleMAL-1aa.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
6 REPLIES 6

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Very nice captures of these colorful creatures!  You really made excellent use of the sunlight with your third capture creating a beautiful colorful composition.  Thank you for sharing these!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you, Rodger. They are so plentiful that I rarely shoot them anymore, but it's breeding season for both species and I just happened by from shooting birds, and couldn't let the opportunity pass.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thank you for the beautiful photos of these colorful little guys.  Even though I grew up in the South, I had never heard of this lizard.  

@Edward1064 wrote:

Thank you for the beautiful photos of these colorful little guys.  Even though I grew up in the South, I had never heard of this lizard.  

You are welcome, Ed! The Brown Anole is native to the Caribean and even though it was introduced to the U.S. in the early 1900's, it's still confined to southern Georgia, Florida and the gulf coast. When I was a kid in central Florida (60's), we used to catch the Green Anoles, tie a length of thread just in front of thier back legs, let them ride on our shoulder for a while, then let them go. They will bite, LOL! I'm not sure how far north the geenies live, probably NC.

Newton

Hey Newton,

I grew up in Atlanta, but didn't have these little guys.  But Atlanta is a thousand or so feet above sea level, and thus does not have a tropical climate.  Winters can be cold there.  But I wish that we did have these there!

Thanks again for the nice pics.

Ed

Interesting photos and story. We don't have them here in Tennessee. Too many problems with other invasive species. We do have a five lined skink that lives under the door frame to the basement.

Used to live in Queens, NY and loved cannoli!

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements