cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XF605 Dual SD card recording question

seanski44
Contributor

Hi all,

have been using the XF605 for a year (prior I had a Sony Z150, prior to that I used a C100) - anyway, I use dual slot recording all the time, but I wondered if there's a way to keep recording if one slot fills? The Sony method is to keep the other card recording if one card has a problem or fills. 

The reason is I usually have a large capacity card in slot2 and switch out smaller capacity cards in Slot A for each shoot. (this is news style stuff, the card gets pulled and replaced after each shoot) - obviously occasionally I don't change the backup card in time and it runs low on space. When this happens I risk the whole shoot being interrupted because both cards stop recording. 

I wondered if there's an option to change to 'keep recording at all costs' or something?

TIA 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

The best solution really is to use larger cards, then you can keep using dual slot recording. If one card fails whilst recording the other one will still keep going.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0beta2 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

I don't know the XF605, but it should have an option in the menu relating to SD cards for Relay Recording, which is the one you need.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0beta2 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

Hi, thanks, not quite the solution I'm looking for. I still want both cards to record simultaneously, thus creating a backup but in the event of a problem with one card I want the other to continue recording. The relay record would not do this. It's possible it's not an option in which case I'd urge canon to make it an option!

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

The best solution really is to use larger cards, then you can keep using dual slot recording. If one card fails whilst recording the other one will still keep going.

seanski44
Contributor

Yeah, thanks, so it's not an option. 

Part of the problem really is I'd prefer a lower bitrate - I want 4k for cropping purposes, prefer 50p for the look and feel but the lowest bitrate means that even with 128GB cards it's not quite enough.

It's a real shame that continuing recording is not the priority for the device. Its one of two issues I have with this camera which in other terms is pretty much perfect. Thanks for trying to help!

As stated, it's not really the size of the cards, I'll just have to adjust my workflow.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

@IamintheUK has pointed out to the recording options which are available.  Recording can be Individual - to one card or the other, Simultaneous - recording the same content to both cards, or Relay - where recording switches to the other card when the first cards fills.   

You can also do Proxy and Audio,  See page 35 in the product's user guide.  

xf605-im5-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

yeah thanks, it's a functionality issue rather than the lack of choice. Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

rs-eos
Elite

About the only thing I can think of (if supported by the XF605) is to have an external recorder capture your backup while using relay recording in the camera.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Nice idea. I'll just learn to live with it & get better at changing my 'big' card! - thanks again

click here to view the gallery
Announcements