cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XF100 SD Card Usage

luvette
Apprentice

Does the FX100 not record directly on a SD card?  Both CF slots failed on me. What a horrible technology!!!

Why provide an SDHC port if not?!?!

Yes I initialized the card and verified it to be a SDHC compatible card.

When I want to record it says invalid operation!!

HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Your equipment seems only capable of working with SDHC cards (and not SDXC).  Thus, write speed will be quite limited and is probably why Canon opted to work with the much more capable CF cards at the time.

I believe SDHC used Speed Class 4 at most?  If so, that's only 4 MBps or 32 Mbps.  Since the XF100 can record in up to 50 Mbps, that would definitely not work with the SD card tech at the time.

Thus, you'll need to look into a repair (though at this point, I don't know if that is feasible due to the age of the equipment), or look at moving to a more modern camcorder.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Were you trying to record video to the SD card (you said both CF slots "failed"). I believe the SD card will only record photos. See page 174 of the manual.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Your equipment seems only capable of working with SDHC cards (and not SDXC).  Thus, write speed will be quite limited and is probably why Canon opted to work with the much more capable CF cards at the time.

I believe SDHC used Speed Class 4 at most?  If so, that's only 4 MBps or 32 Mbps.  Since the XF100 can record in up to 50 Mbps, that would definitely not work with the SD card tech at the time.

Thus, you'll need to look into a repair (though at this point, I don't know if that is feasible due to the age of the equipment), or look at moving to a more modern camcorder.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements