cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Camera Recommendations for Clearer Zoom than XA10

RMRacing
Apprentice

Currently have a Canon XA10. Mainly use it to stream softball/baseball games.  Need something with a little more zoom clarity as I shoot from the outfield most of the time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Have you enabled any type of digital zoom? If so, you should disable that as it will definitely lead to pixelation and other artifacts.

Your XA10 specs show a 35mm equivalent zoom range of 30.4 to 305 mm.  Here are a couple that would offer around twice the focal length (approx $1,800):

• XA15 - 28.7 to 576 mm - (tiny sensor of 1/2.84" type; only very slightly bigger than the XA10's 1/3" type)
  • XA60 - 29.3 to 627 mm - (slightly bigger sensor of 1/2.3" type)

While you can then get larger sensors (e.g. 1" type*) n the XA70 and higher-end models, the maximum focal length is 382 mm.  So that won't give you that much more reach than what you already have.

For ultimately control, you'd be looking at cinema cameras with interchangable lenses where you can then use whatever focal length you need.  Here though, the price will skyrocket dramatically.

If you want to stay with a camcorder, I would recommend the XA60.  Should have the reach you need along with having a slightly larger sensor to help out with video quality.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What do you mean by "zoom clarity"? More reach overall (i.e. higher optical zoom)? Or in general, higher image quality no matter the focal length (zoom level)?

--
Ricky

I’m thinking further reach and still keep a decent image.  Pulled out it’s crystal clear but trying to zoom in on the batter you can see the pixelation. Softball I’m roughly 220’ away. Baseball 330’ or so away.   

Have you enabled any type of digital zoom? If so, you should disable that as it will definitely lead to pixelation and other artifacts.

Your XA10 specs show a 35mm equivalent zoom range of 30.4 to 305 mm.  Here are a couple that would offer around twice the focal length (approx $1,800):

• XA15 - 28.7 to 576 mm - (tiny sensor of 1/2.84" type; only very slightly bigger than the XA10's 1/3" type)
  • XA60 - 29.3 to 627 mm - (slightly bigger sensor of 1/2.3" type)

While you can then get larger sensors (e.g. 1" type*) n the XA70 and higher-end models, the maximum focal length is 382 mm.  So that won't give you that much more reach than what you already have.

For ultimately control, you'd be looking at cinema cameras with interchangable lenses where you can then use whatever focal length you need.  Here though, the price will skyrocket dramatically.

If you want to stay with a camcorder, I would recommend the XA60.  Should have the reach you need along with having a slightly larger sensor to help out with video quality.

--
Ricky

Thanks for the info. I’m still trying to learn. 

Announcements