cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the EOS R5 C weather sealed? (for dust and water/rain)

jacquesbaa
Apprentice

I am thinking about upgrading my camera and am debating between the EOS 5R and the EOS 5R C.

Based on my research, I  believe that the EOS 5R is weather sealed. Is this also the case of the EOS 5R C?

I will be photographing mostly outdoor, so this is obviously a feature I value.

Thank you for your help. 🙌

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite

The EOS R5 is weather sealed.  But I'm fairly positive the EOS R5C is not (since like an EOS C70 and other cinema cameras, it includes air intake and exhaust vents).

Note also that for the best protection, look for weather sealed lenses (typically found on Canon's L-series lenses).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ricky is correct.  👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

The official Canon page says "Compact and lightweight (680g) body with dust and moisture resistance".

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-r5c/

There's no reason that you can't do this with air vents; the vent duct can have heatsinks in it without exposing the electronics.  I hope that's what they've done.

Hmm, I guess both are equal. From both the EOS R5 and EOS R5C manuals, they state in part:

"To maximize the camera's dust- and drip- resistance, keep the terminal cover, battery compartment cover, card slot cover, and all other covers firmly closed."

"This camera is designed to be dust- and drip- resistant, in order to help prevent sand, dust, dirt, or water that falls on it unexpectedly from getting inside, but it is impossible to prevent dirt, dust, water, or salt from getting inside at all. As far as possible, do not allow dirt, dust, water, or salt to get on the camera."

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I think Canon are trying to steer a path between "a few drops of rain won't kill it, of course" and "don't get it soaked for pete's sake!".  Just exactly where that leaves it I guess eperience will tell...

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Everything I've read says Canon has done its best to make the R5 C moisture and dust resistant.  I have a good deal of faith with it.  I did see a lens rentals tear down article on 3 R5 C's which came back from Burning Man.  That wasn't pretty.  Of course it was a bit extreme.  I think these renters got nailed for the repair bills.

shadowsports_0-1679841506123.png

I was in Europe last year with the R5 C and it was full on raining.  The windy blustering kind that makes you squint your eyes when walking around.  I used a Black Rapids Sports Breath and kept the camera under my coat.  If it was pouring, I had an umbrella too.  In these conditions you have to be more strategic.  Finding a alcove or building overhang to shoot from.  There is no use trying to shoot something with drips running down the front of your lens.  My camera definitely got wet.  I did my very best to keep it as dry as possible.  It was fine and did exactly what I expected.  A CarePak is another reason I wasn't worried.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements