cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! R5C LCD & View Finder Black!?

DannyBPro
Apprentice

I have a R5C I got from B&H, right out of the box video mode worked fine with the LCD working and touch screen working. Then when switching to Photo Mode the LCD screen was black, right out of the gate.

Even the view finder on Photo Mode was black as well. 

So, I thought it might be a odd settings on the Video Mode side. I switched to View Finder Only mode and now my LCD screen went black and my View Finder is not working also Black..... 

What is going on? Is the View Finder just broken from the start? Now I cant even update the firmware because both modes the LCD screen and View Finder is just BLACK!

HELP!

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please provide us with a complete picture of your environment. 

What lens is on the camera?

What brand and type of memory card(s) are installed?

Canon battery? Are you certain your battery is fully charged?

What mode is the camera set to?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Lens: 24-105 F4 Canon Lens

SD Card: SanDisk 64GB

Battery Full Charged Canon Brand (same battery from the box)

Video Mode and or Photo Mode. (still shows black LCD Screen and View Finder) 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thank you.  

Power off the device.  Remove the battery.  Remove the lens and memory card(s)

Reinsert the battery.  Turn the power switch on to photo mode.  Do you see anything on cameras top LCD?

Now press the mode dial lock and change modes, even if nothing can be seen.  Does anything appear or change?

If not, contact B&H Customer service.

Expect they will ask you to perform the same or similar steps.  If defective, they will replace the camera for you, no questions.  I purchased my R5 C from them as well.  They are great.  
shadowsports_0-1668706531934.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

dustincanon
Apprentice

I just bought a camera from BNH as well and after playing with it, I realized I had to hit the info button to get the screen on. The problem was the same as yours probably. 😁

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

No update or follow up from the OP in 5 months.  Hard to say.  (R5 C) The camera does not need to have the info button pressed to activate the top, rear LCD or viewfinder when it is first powered on regardless of the operate mode setting (photo or video).

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements