cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5C will not update firmware: “check the power supply”

dkallan
Contributor

My Canon EOS R5 C came with firmware version 1.0.5.1 installed.  I have the 1.0.6.1 firmware file on the formatted SDXC (v90) card.  The R5C sees it and will open the Version 1.0.5.1 -> Version 1.0.6.1 update screen, but the “OK” button is greyed out, displaying the message “Check the power supply.”

I’ve tried multiple USB power supplies (Apple 96W, Anker 100W, Apple 140W): the R5C works fine in USB PD mode for every function except firmware update.  I’ve tried with and without a fully-charged EP battery installed, removing the CFexpress card, removing the lens, lowering the video settings to their bare minimum.

Any idea why it won’t update and what I can do to resolve?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dkallan
Contributor

Thank you to both of you!  Managed to get it resolved by using an older LP-E6NH battery from my R5.  All of my batteries are the NH 2130mAh litihum (the older 1800mAh ones from my 5D/EF-series days are long gone).  This problem occurred with the brand new LP-E6NH battery that came with the R5C.  Both batteries were fully charged, so I really don't understand what happened (Canon wants me to keep an eye on that new battery, but anyway, FW is finally updated!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Sorry to hear about this -- I've never had this problem with my R5C, except when the battery was actually low.

Only one thing I can think of -- when you say "with and without a fully-charged EP battery" ... the camera will not run unless there is a battery installed, and for that camera, the battery really needs to be an LP-E6 NH.  Note the "NH".  If you're using an older LP-E6 battery, without the "NH", that might be the issue.  Otherwise sorry, I have no idea.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

That message typically means the battery % is too low.  I don't recall what the minimum level is off hand, but its like 55% or more.  It doesn't matter if its plugged in to USB-C PD or USB-C AC...  if the camera detects low battery you cannot update the FW.  Its a protection feature.  

Everything else sounds correct.  Use freshly charged battery LP-E6NH (as Ian pointed out), Firmware on root of freshly formatted SD Card (v1.0.6.1) is "VSD10.FIR", CFExpress B removed.  Cinema Mode, Use the rear control dial to move focus to the OK button and press set.  Then don't touch and wait the 9 min.   

Do you have anything else connected to the camera besides a lens?  I always connect a USB-C PD to my camera when updating FW.  Either my MAC charger 90w, 9v, 3.0A or my portable 45w same.  Camera off > insert card > insert battery > connect PD and power up. 

**Edit,  The settings get reset, so you don't need to change anything lower performance modes, etc. for the update.  

Keep us posted 😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

dkallan
Contributor

Thank you to both of you!  Managed to get it resolved by using an older LP-E6NH battery from my R5.  All of my batteries are the NH 2130mAh litihum (the older 1800mAh ones from my 5D/EF-series days are long gone).  This problem occurred with the brand new LP-E6NH battery that came with the R5C.  Both batteries were fully charged, so I really don't understand what happened (Canon wants me to keep an eye on that new battery, but anyway, FW is finally updated!

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Well I'm gad you got it sorted; though it does seem baffling.  Could be a faulty battery, I guess.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Great to hear.  👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements