cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C won't preview 8K clips, 4K clips OK

VidHeadz
Contributor

Last weekend I did a little testing with the R5C.  I was shooting 4K and 8K clips at 24fps.  I notice I could preview the 4K clips but when I tried to preview the 8K it said cannot view at this time, or something like that.  I know the R5C has it's quirks so does it need the external battery PD to view the 8K Clips?  Or is there something else going on that I'm missing?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You do not need USB-PD to review clips, even 8K RAW.  The battery has to have enough charge to power the camera, but that's all.  🙂 

See playback starting on page 139 - Shows the clips index.  Page 140 discusses playback.

eosr5c-aug7-video-en.pdf

**Note:  To playback some clips, the system frequency has to match the framerate the clip was recorded in in order to playback.   

Downloads for your camera are here:

Canon Support for EOS R5 C | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Note there are 2 manuals for the camera.  One for photo and one for video.  If not done, I suggest you read both fully.  I've owned my R5 C for 2 yrs and I still review the video manual from time to time.  Canon updates them whenever a FW change is released.  You'll want to be running 1.0.7.1 or 1.0.8.1 👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the help.  I have read this but I was able to see the clips in the index.  It says here that you will not be able to see the clips.  I will test this when I get home.  Thank you so much for the clarity.

"NOTES 140 • If the card contains XF-AVC clips recorded at a system frequency other than the one currently used by the camera, you will not be able to play back the clips and the clip thumbnails will not appear in the index screen. To play back such clips, change the camera’s system frequency (A 63) to match the recordings on the card."

Announcements