cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C 120 fps

jboogy50082
Contributor

For the canon r5c I’m trying to shoot in 120 frames per second. i see the option to where you can shoot in 60 frames per second. Only other setting I see is slow and fast motion but I don’t really understand how that works 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I hear you, but sadly, Slow&Fast is in fact the answer.  The R5C can shoot up to 60 in normal shooting modes; for faster than that, you need to use Slow&Fast.  This is common on most cameras, as the standard timecode format can only handle up to 99 frames in a second.

So what you need to do is:

1. in your main shooting menu, set the frame rate to whatever you want the final frame rate to be: e.g. 24 FPS.
  2. in the next page, turn on Slow&Fast
  3. set the Slow&Fast frame rate to 120

Now, when you shoot, the camera will simply shoot 120 FPS and store those frames in a file.  The wrinkle is that the meta-data in the file header will be set to whatever frame rate you set on page 1; and the timecodes in the video will reflect that.  In other words, for the file header and tmecode, the camera is pretending that you shot 24, when you actually shot 120.  The other snag is that the camera can't record audio in Slow&Fast mode.

The bottom line is that the file you shoot will have 120 frames stored in it for each second of recording, regardless of what the file header says.  You can use those frames in post however you like.

If you're trying to do slow-mo, the good news is that this makes it very easy.

• In the camera, set your main frame rate to whatever your project frame rate is; let's say it's 24.
  • Set Slow&Fast to 120.
  • Shoot your video
  • In your editor, create a timeline at 24FPS
  • Drop your video straight onto the timeline.

And bingo, your video will play at 1/5 speed.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I hear you, but sadly, Slow&Fast is in fact the answer.  The R5C can shoot up to 60 in normal shooting modes; for faster than that, you need to use Slow&Fast.  This is common on most cameras, as the standard timecode format can only handle up to 99 frames in a second.

So what you need to do is:

1. in your main shooting menu, set the frame rate to whatever you want the final frame rate to be: e.g. 24 FPS.
  2. in the next page, turn on Slow&Fast
  3. set the Slow&Fast frame rate to 120

Now, when you shoot, the camera will simply shoot 120 FPS and store those frames in a file.  The wrinkle is that the meta-data in the file header will be set to whatever frame rate you set on page 1; and the timecodes in the video will reflect that.  In other words, for the file header and tmecode, the camera is pretending that you shot 24, when you actually shot 120.  The other snag is that the camera can't record audio in Slow&Fast mode.

The bottom line is that the file you shoot will have 120 frames stored in it for each second of recording, regardless of what the file header says.  You can use those frames in post however you like.

If you're trying to do slow-mo, the good news is that this makes it very easy.

• In the camera, set your main frame rate to whatever your project frame rate is; let's say it's 24.
  • Set Slow&Fast to 120.
  • Shoot your video
  • In your editor, create a timeline at 24FPS
  • Drop your video straight onto the timeline.

And bingo, your video will play at 1/5 speed.

So if I import into a 120fps timeline it should play in120fps am I correct?

In principle, if you don't change the speed, and if you have a graphics card and monitor that can actually do 120.   I've never tried this; for me, 120 is a tool for slow-mo.

shahrulnizammm
Contributor

Do the autofocus works on 12op?

I mean the autofocus tracking. Does it work on S&F 120fps

Announcements