cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon r5c video not showing on pc

jboogy50082
Contributor

I’m having problems with getting videos to show on pc. When I record in mp4 format the videos will show. But any other format it won’t show. I’m using a cf express card for the videos. I downloaded eos utility driver and only photos and mp4 files will show. I bought a cf express card reader type b  and the video files still won’t show. How can I view the video I record on my camera on my computer????

11 REPLIES 11

.mp4 files recorded on the R5C are perfectly standard MP4 files, encoded as either H.264or H.265, depending on which you chose.  I routinely copy these to my PC using a card reader and use them as is, without using XF utilitity or any other Canon software.

However these files are very high bitrate.  They will generally not play directly, because your computer likely isn't powerful enough.  For example, when I double-click one of these files, the video jerks forwards a couple of times then freezes, leaving just the audio.  But when I load the files into a video editor and edit with them, they're prefectly fine.

For more innfo on this, see this thread: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Canon-R5-video-file-sizes-trouble-dow...

If you're having some other problem, then you need to provide more information.  Saying that some files "cannot be played" is no use.  Do you mean that you get an error message?  Does the player crash?  Does it play jerkily/badly?  Does the pcture look wierd?  You are giving us no clues at all.

What record modes, exactly, are you using?  What exactly are these files called on your computer?  Providing some screen shots might help.

I get that this is frustrating, but if you can't tell us what is actually going wrong, then we can't help.

As a side note, if they are 10bit files the free version of DaVinci Resolve will not open them on a PC. You would need the Studio version of Resolve.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0beta2 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S
click here to view the gallery
Announcements