cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EVF-V50 Review

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Before purchasing my C300 MK III, I had searched extensively for information and reviews for the two available EVF's, but had not found much at all, in fact, pretty much nothing.  My primary interest had been in the EVF-V70, due to its resolution, but it cannot be used along with the LCD, since they connect to the same port.  That left the EVF-V50 as the only remaining Canon option, as it connects to the extension port on the rear of the camera. 

While I have used the EVF-V50 for less than a full day, it solves the anticipated and experienced issue of bright sunlight obscuiring the LCD.  I would not recommend it for critical focusing, but for framing, which is my intended use, it should be just fine.  I had expected that it's proximity detector would turn of the LCD's screen, but it does not appear to do so—unless I have overlooked an in-camera setting—and it remains engaged when removing one's eye from the EVF.  That said, it does come with a occluder that fits into the eyepiece, which I sure will get lost as time goes by.  But for the difference in cost, $700 vs $4,000, it is a worthy EVF contender.  

1 REPLY 1

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Since posting the above message, I've had occasion to communicate with Canon's excellent Cine technical support.  It appears that the EVF-V50's proximity sensor is so designed as to wait 30 seconds before shutting the EVF off while in camera mode, and 10 seconds while in media mode. It appears that I hadn't waited long enough to witness the shutdown, but with the above information in hand I went about testing the EVF, and it does indeed turn off after roughly 30sec. 

Further use of the EVF has proven its worth.  However, I do find it odd that there is no operational information on Canon's site, nor is there anything on the Internet or within the box that packages the EVF-V50 that explains anything, including installation.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements