cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon C70 won’t turn on!😱

Mikeclarksd
Apprentice

HELP! I’ve done a ton of trouble shooting and can’t find a way to fix this. I was in the middle of a firmware update. Normally that takes 1 min at max. This was almost 20 min so I thought something must be wrong so I shut down and went to restart the process and now my camera won’t turn on..nothing! Full battery, I even plugged into the wall…nothing! Anyway?

6 REPLIES 6

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Mike,

Unfortunately a failure during a firmware update is probably going to require a visit to Canon service for them to do the firmware update.  Canon cameras are one of those items that turn into "bricks" if a firmware update is interrupted or fails.

Twenty minutes does sound like a long time to wait although I recall one 5 minute plus update with one of my 1DX series bodies so the time does vary depending upon how much is changed by the update.  But in any case, your camera is going to have to go in to Canon to recover from the update failure.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Oh man. Ok. Thanks for the feedback. That’s helps. They are closed today so I was hoping someone would tell me to push number 3 twice followed by a number 4 and BAM! 😜 anyway thank You. 

Mike,

Sorry I didn't have better news and that is why I always hold my breath during firmware upgrades!  That is also the reason they always tell users to use a freshly charged battery and not an AC adapter because a battery that goes down or a brief power failure during the firmware upgrade causes the same issue.  I like the way HP does it with my Z series workstation computers; it installs the firmware and then checks that the install has successfully completed before it then restarts with the new firmware so if a fault happens during upgrade you aren't stuck waiting for repair.

I hope they can get you taken care of quickly!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks Rodger. Honestly it was my fault I just should have waited I guess. I hope it doesn’t take forever to fix. I need this thing back ASAP. I appreciate your input 🙏🏻

Mike,

At 20 minutes and not finished, it is very possible something went wrong so it already had an issue before you turned it off. I have done several updates on my 1DX II and III bodies and it is always a little tense because the speed at which it progresses through the update varies making you think that it has frozen but so far nothing has gone wrong.

Memory cards do fail/glitch and your card may have picked a very bad time to do so.  So don't beat yourself up over it.  It is a waste or your energy to put yourself down because there are plenty of people in the world who will be more than happy to do that for you 😞

Rodger

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Really sorry to hear about this.  Rodger's got you covered.  Canon will help you. 

My last update was 9:23 in total.  I've been accustomed to 60~90 sec updates also with DSLR's.  Canon's cinema line is certainly different.  I plug the camera in, press Set and walk away the last 2 updates.  They just take time.

I'm sure you will be back in business quickly.  Plus, the new C70 firmware is packed with cool new features.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements