cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon C70 jittering

utisz
Contributor

Hello,

do you have any idea what is causing that teribble jitter of antialising in my footage that I recorded with my C70?
Is the digital stabilization which is messing up my clip or something else?

Thanks very much for sharing your expertise on this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T9DeIdrt7t61vzGiP5h1h8HA0jZ1aPuY/view?usp=share_link

14 REPLIES 14

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I can view the video, but I'm not seeing jitter. I see some noise, but that's about it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello Rick,

thank you. I can't really see any noise as this footage is almost noise free, but there is a severe jittering and antialising. Please look at the left side of the painting's frame and you will notice what I am talking about.

Thanks.

Márton

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It almost looks like focus was struggling? But it transitioned almost too rapidly for that to be the case? I notice by looking at some frames of the placard, that some motion blur was introduced, but vertically. Perhaps it was the Digital IS struggling?

Anyhow, what lens were you using?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ok, Now I see what you are talking about. Vertical part of the frame in upper left corner. What I see most now is flickering. It looks like lighting was impacting focus. If you weren't using a tripod, then there was also some shake as Ricky mentioned. Its a dimly lit room. You also have a subject standing approx 5 ft away from the painting. Lots of challenges.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello Everyone,

I don't think that the issue is related to autofocus as I am always using manual focus. I just uploaded a differerent clip recorded in a perfectly lit environment. As you can see here, the jittering effect caused by probably the Digital IS is also present. The bootom line is that C70 is not capable to record in Digital IS mode due to line skipping and pretty bad antialising?
Here is what I am talking about: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gkgttwMgsfLmfmTg9nLpQpxhDhaD2X2G/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

Marton

I'll ask again though for what lens you are using.

--
Ricky

utisz
Contributor

Hi Ricky,

thanks very much for your note. I am using an EF 50mm f/1.2L for my EOS C70 via EF-EOS R 0.71x.

Best,

Marton

That could be it. While a recent C70 firmware update added full support for the 50mm f/1.2L with the 0.71x adapter, I do wonder if the Digital IS was just struggling. Also (I can no longer find any references to this), I though that depending upon the codec, that Digital IS may not be avail? Was that for RAW?

Anyhow, if you have an RF lens, especially one with IS, that should work much better. Or, for fairly static scenes such as this one, try using a tripod along with disabling any IS.

--
Ricky

utisz
Contributor

Thanks, Ricky. I'll try to do some experiments with my RF 35 f/1.8 too!
Actually, I was using a Sigma 135mm f/1.8 for the first clip that I did upload. The second one was recorded with the 50mm prime.
I was wondering however what is the purpose of Digital IS on C70 as the IS version of the RF lenses doesn't necessaraly require any additonal Digital IS.
I am still convinced that the problem is not lens related, but it is due to the line skipping algorithm of the 4K sensor in Digital IS mode.

Announcements