cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C70 camera

Philip12
Apprentice

I'm looking to get into video. I don't have much experience. Will the Canon C70 be a good camera to shoot 4K commercials? Is the file size large enough? Is this considered a professional video camera that meets the standards for 4K broadcast?

P

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Yes.  The EOS C70 is definitely a professional cinema camera.  Netflix lists it as one of their approved Canon cameras.

It has numerous codecs to include an All-I 410 Mbps XF-AVC 10-bit 4:2:2 one.  That's available with many framing options to include both UHD and DCI-4K.  Recently added via a firmware update was a RAW codec (12-bit Cinema RAW Lite at just under 400 Mbps).

Other highlights include: XLR inputs, built-in ND filters, RF mount so you can use any* RF lens or an EF lens with an appropriate adapter.  I put an asterisk next to any since I don't think Canon's new stereoscopic RF lens would really work well with EOS C70 as it was designed for full frame sensors.

Working with Canon Log-2 with such a high dynamic range has been a joy.

I also really enjoy the flexibility with recording to the dual SD cards.  Either simultaneous recording, proxy recording to Card B or even sub-recording to Card B.  I mainly use sub-recording to record All-I to Card A and then Long-GOP to Card B.   Though sub-recording isn't available when capturing in RAW.

There are quite a bit of videos online from both Canon and others on the C70, so do check them out.   And, you can always rent one first to see if it will fit your needs.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Philip12
Apprentice

Thanks for your thoughts. I am completely new to the video end. Does anyone know how the image size or quality compares to the C300 mklll? I know they are different cameras, I'm just trying to figure if the C70 has the image size or quality for commercial 4K usage. (Netflix approves)

Where do you feel the R5 fits into this conversation? Is it just as capable as the C70?

The EOS R5 is primarily a stills camera.  A newly released EOS R5 C is more for video, though there are pros/cons.  Higher resolution capture, but no internal ND filters as one example.

If you're just starting out in video, perhaps you should look at gear rental to see what will work best for you.  Also, what is your overall budget?

--
Ricky

What do you mean by "image size"? Resolution?  If so, as I noted above, the C70 can record in HD, 2K, UHD and 4K.  1920 x 1080, 2048 x 1080, 3840 x 2160 and 4096 x 2160 respectively.

The C70 uses the same Super 35 sensor as does the C300 III.

--
Ricky

Thanks for your patient information. As you can see I am at square 1 (not knowing anything). I guess what I'm looking for is a professional video camera that meets the standards of professional video for 4k commercial work (aren't we all). I have a client that now wants to shoot video in 4k with the request of 120fps 4k for the possibility  of using it in a commercial. The C70 fits in my price range, but I want to make sure I'm not over looking anything.

Since you are brand new, note that there could be a steep learning curve for all things video.  Also, what lenses will be needed for the shoot? lighting? audio?   Do you need to do the post-production yourself or are you handing off to someone else?

If this is your very first video gig, really consider renting.  Also, reach out to other videographers/cinematographers in your area.  Perhaps someone can be a mentor.

--
Ricky

The C70 is a fantatic camera, and as Ricky pointed out Netflix approved, so I think it should check all the right boxes for what you need. It's also super-compact and a real cinema camera -- it has built-in ND filters (which I rate very highly), lots of customizable buttons so you have all the controls at your fingertips, timecode, false colour, waveform, etc.

The R5 is also great: though it's a stills-style camera, it shoots great video. The "8k" resolution means it can shoot a true 4k pixel resolution. But -- no false colour, waveform, ND filters, etc., and you're limited to 30-minute clips. Which for commercials shouldn't be a problem. If youre planning on intensive all-day shoots, I guess the overheating issue could be a problem.

The R5C is the R5 with the time limit and overheating fixed. I would assume also a fantastic video camera, though I personally haven't used one.

But if you're really new to video shooting, all this is beside the point. The camera should be at least THIRD on your list of priorities. Assuming you have a great script and great talent, number 1 is sound quality -- bad sound will ruin whatever you shoot. And number 2 is lighting -- if you want a professional, cinematic look, shoot on your phone but get the lighting right. Only after mastering sound and lighting should you think about spending cash on a camera.

Announcements