cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to rename RAW video files

Ryan99
Apprentice

Hi there,

I am wondering what the best process is for renaming raw video files (.CRM). The video files were recorded at 4K on a C300 mark iii.

I would like to keep the meta data if possible but I want to rename each file without ruining the clips. For some reason I can't open them in XF Utility (could be a user problem). I am on Mac.

Is it as simple as renaming in finder but making sure I keep the ".CRM" at the end?

The reason for renaming is because I have finished my edit and delivered master files but I would like to add them to my library, therefore I would like to change them to follow my own naming conventions.

Basically just want to know the best option for this without losing quality or metadata if possible (metadata probably isn't a big deal so long as the videos are useable)

Thank you

1 REPLY 1

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Speaking about the technology generally, your computer's operating system stores the names of files completely separately from the content.  So, you can rename a file any way you like, and it won't affect the content -- which includes the video, the audio, and the video metadata.

You can even change the suffix -- the ".CRM" part -- though if you do, your computer won't know how to handle those files any more.  So best not to.

One wrinkle would be if you have meta-data in a separate file, like a ".XML" file.  In that case, the only way your software knows which meta-data file belongs to which clip is by the name part BEFORE the suffix.  In that case, be very careful about renaming.

For myself, my camera (C70) creates dumb duplicate file names in MP4 mode, so I always rename them.

Announcements