cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone successfully using any camcorder with your own FTP server?

JLP
Apprentice

Got an XF605 which I bought partially to take advantage of its networking features-particularly its ability to transfer clips over Wi-Fi to an FTP server.  Accordingly I set up the FTP server on my ancient Netgear D7000 router but haven't been able to connect the camera to it despite the server working with my laptop, indicating it's properly configured.  The camera also can connect and transfer files to a server I set up for testing on the laptop, as well as a test server on the internet for that purpose. 

The other network functions-streaming, browser remote, etc.-work OK so my first guess was that the router itself was at fault, and I thought I'd try not using its built-in server.  Consequently, I picked up a Raspberry Pi and set up an SFTP server on it that the laptop can connect to with no problem, but the camera still can't.  I just get the repeated message "Unable to connect to FTP server."

So...I thought I'd check here to see if anyone with any Canon camcorder is able to use FTP with any router either hosting an FTP server or with one connected to it like my Pi.  If so which make and model of router are you using, and is it one that offers compatibility with dynamic DNS (and preferably a free DDNS account) so I can connect to it away from home?  If worse comes to worst I can swap my router out if need be-it'll be way cheaper than the camera and our tax-free weekend is coming up.  Just want to know which brands to look at and which ones to avoid.  Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Let's see if anyone else has experience with this. I remember your old thread.  😉

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Video/Anyone-successfully-using-an-FTP-server-hosted...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements