cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Premiere Issue with video export of Canon Log 3 RAW footage

nazz90
Apprentice

Hi everyone, I have a Canon R5C, and I'm shooting in the settings that I have attached. I'm unsure if this is a Premiere issue or a camera issue that Premiere does not recognize.

Anyways, the problem is, when I input a Canon Log 3 RAW footage into Premiere and make all my color corrections, it looks really good in the software with REC 709, but when I export the file, it looks different.

Is anyone with an R5C experiencing these issues? Or is this a premiere problem? also, if anyone knows a solution, this would help me tremendously 

I am attaching two screenshots of my settings and the results in-software and exported.
Thank you for your help in advance!IMG_1949.jpegScreenshot 2023-08-23 at 10.01.34 AM.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite

Will have to let others with the R5 C chime in, but here are a couple things I have noticed:

• You're capturing in MPEG-4 HEVC and not RAW.   Not an issue per se, but just wanted to point that out if your intent was to capture RAW video.
  • It would be better to provide screenshots with the entire frame so as to see the comparisson more easily.
  • In both screenshots though, there's a magenta cast.   What white balance were you setting the camera to?  Note that when not capturing RAW footage, the white balance will be baked in to the footage, so any major issues would have to be corrected in post which could prove to be very challenging and potentially not possible.
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

cwilson
Contributor

Just to make sure I understand your issue correctly:

When you grade your image in Premiere it looks the way you want it to, but when you export, the image looks slightly different (perhaps difference in contrast and saturation). Is that correct?

If this is the issue, you're probably having color profile problems between your computer monitor (macOS or windows?) and Premiere. The difference you're showing doesn't look drastic so it might be something as simple as changing your workspace to sRGB all around (your monitor profile, and in Premiere).

To be clear, I have never had a 100% exact export from what I've graded and how it plays in Quicktime, Youtube, VLC, etc. However you should be able to get it closer than what your screen grabs are showing.

Note that while sRGB and BT.709 have the same triangle area of coverage over the chromaticity diagram, the gamma values are a bit different (BT.709 will have slightly more contrast).  So if your display supports it, you should set it to BT.709.

e.g. on either an Apple Studio Display or Apple Pro Display XDR, you'd choose a Reference Mode (Preset) of HDTV Video (BT.709-BT.1886)

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Agreed, I'm just implying he should make sure that his software and operating system are in agreement as to which color profile to work in.

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

When you export your video are you making sure that you are using Video level and not Full level? Rec 709 should be exported with Video level or you will see colors muted similar to the pic you posted. What do your scopes show you? As I'm not a Premier user I don't know what settings you have available to you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0beta2 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

j_bergen
Apprentice

It sounds like you need to use the Canon Gamma Compensation LUT on export. A really unintuitive thing and hard to find info on, but it's out there. It will add back the colours you saw in Premiere that are missing on export. https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/quot-why-does-my-footage-look-darker-in-prem...

The actual LUT is here, the link in the previous comment tells you about it: https://assets.adobe.com/public/d8c8ac0c-5555-480d-680f-2e257413a961

Announcements