cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Support Code 140B

SGermyn
Apprentice

Just hung up with Canon support and was told that there are no service centers for this $1300.00 printer!!  After very little use this beautiful printer suddenly want us to replace the print head - we have tried to remove the print head and reinstall several times with numerous ink dumps and it won't reset.  I was told that we could purchase a new print head ($675!!) (if it is indeed the problem) but if it doesn't solve the issue we cannot return the new print head...!  What on earth - I went to Canon after have several Epson large format printers...and their spitting and spotting issues.

I'm very dissapointed in the lack of product support for this and I will never buy another Canon product.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lucyluart
Apprentice

I know this was from 2020, but I thought I'd reply in case anyone sees this with the same issue.
Mine showed error code 140b "Print head not installed" (It was installed of course).
I took the print head out and put it back in, which didn't help. Turned power off and on, didn't work, HOWEVER unplugging the power plug, then trying to turn the printer on while unplugged apparently discharges the capacitor and forces the printer to do a reset. I then turned it on again normally and it works again! 🙂 Hope this helps anyone who sees this.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Darius
Whiz

Hi SGermyn.

The Print Head is a delicate component.  Once the packaging has been removed from the print head for its installation, it is prone to damage during shipping and cannot be reused or resent. We apologize if the policy seems inconvenient in light of the printer's error.

While the 140B error may indicate a problem with a print head, that problem may itself be a symptom of some deeper system issue.  Resolving this issue conclusively require trained repair personnel.  As Canon no longer has contracts with printer repair services for our inkjet printers, we're no longer able to make such recommendations.  You are free to seek such services on your own. Since the printer is already out of warranty, the cost of service or repairs (including parts and labor) will be out-of-pocket (as our phone rep may have already indicated).

The printer's limited warranty is intended to protect the printer from defects in workmanship (thus the 1 year term of warranty).  In the case that additional coverage is required, CarePAK extensions are available through us and our Canon authorized resellers (note: CarePAKs need to be applied within 90 days of the original date of purchase).

As an inkjet printer, the PRO-1000 needs regular use to keep the nozzles clean and the inks fresh. I personally recommend at least once every two weeks, preferably once each week.  Lack of use may cause inks to dry in the nozzles and ink feed system, resulting in damage and reduced lifespan of the printer.

I hope this information, both specific and for inkjets in general, are useful to you in the future.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

"Resolving this issue conclusively require trained repair personnel.  As Canon no longer has contracts with printer repair services for our inkjet printers, we're no longer able to make such recommendations."

If my problem requires trained repair personnel, but Canon no longer contracts with printer repair services for ink printers, how can I possibly resolve my problem conclusively (other than by purchasing a new printer)?  

LeonSyfrit
Apprentice

Hi SGermyn,

Were you able to repair your printer, and get up and running again? If so, How? I am dealing with the same printhead issue. My Pro-1000 went dark in the middle of printing an image. As per the Canon manual, I removed the printer power cord for several minutes, then reinserted it. The printer powered up, but I received the error code 140B (printhead is not installed-install printhead). I also tried reinstalling the printhead, as you attempted, but to no avail. The canon support team told me the same informations you received. Obviously, I am quite upset that I apparently have no reasonable solution to my problem. 

Warmest Regards and Gratitude

Leon

Hi Leon,

I had the the exact same problem with stopping while printing, then restart after disconecting for a few minutes and now error 140B.

Were you able to resolve the problem?

Thank you very much for your response

Best regards

Matthias

I know this was from 2020, but I thought I'd reply in case anyone sees this with the same issue, maybe it could still help you, @smo1234
Mine showed error code 140b "Print head not installed" (It was installed of course).
I took the print head out and put it back in, which didn't help. Turned power off and on, didn't work, HOWEVER unplugging the power plug, then trying to turn the printer on while unplugged apparently discharges the capacitor and forces the printer to do a reset. I then turned it on again normally and it works again! 🙂 Hope this helps anyone who sees this.

LeonSyfrit
Apprentice
Hi Matthias,
No resolution, unfortunately. I didn’t want to purchase a new print head because it would have been very expensive and it was not guaranteed to fix the issue. In the end, I threw away the printer. I was able to find a commercial lab that makes good prints (Mpix lab).

lucyluart
Apprentice

I know this was from 2020, but I thought I'd reply in case anyone sees this with the same issue.

barnesfoto
Contributor

I have had similar issues with my smaller older Canon Printer. (I'm a teacher and we have 2 Pro 1000s in my photo classroom). Unplugging the printer for 5 min to 24 hours seems to override these odd operational errors that seem to be part of the Canon Printer identity, just as clogged heads when you don't print for a couple weeks are a part of the Epson printer identity. 

SGermyn
Apprentice

Here we are almost 4 years to the day of my original message - I ended up throwing away that printer when a student of mine generously gave me his little used Pro-1000!!  I used it for at least 1-1.5years with no problems!  But then it came time for a new maintenance cartridge and when I installed a new one the printer will NOT recognize it and it seems there is a small latch on the cartridge slot door that is suddenly missing...so once again I have a very expensive printer that I cannot use...it makes me sad that I cannot print photos any longer.

The tally is: 4 large format Epson printers & 3 large format Canon Pro-1000 printer that we have wasted our $$$ on.

Announcements