cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Color Self-Calibration

blubery52
Apprentice

I purchased an imagPROGRAF PRO-1000 printer 6 weeks ago.  My paper-of-choice is the Hahnemuhle Baryta FB paper.  The PRO-1000 is capable of performing a self-calibration using a variety of Canon papers.  And my understanding is that:

1. It's not capable of performing the corresponding self-calibration using other than those Canon papers.

2. For best results printing to Hahnemuhle Baryta FB paper, I should have the printer perform its self-calibration using Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster paper.

Am I correct about the above?

One suggested alternative I came across, but have not tried, is this:

Have the PRO-1000 perform its self-calibration for the Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster paper, but feed in (through its manual feed slot) a sheet of the Hahnemuhle Baryta FB paper rather than a sheet of the Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster paper.  

My guess is that this is not likely to lead to better results, in terms of improving the color calibration of my PRO-1000 printer printing to Hahnemuhle Baryta FB paper.  But I would love to hear back from someone more knowledgeable than I am, about this suggested alternative.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

To be crystal clear on this, then, to perform a color calibration for paper XYZ, I should load a sheet of paper XYZ into my PRO-1000 printer and direct my PRO-1000 to perform a color calibration selecting, e.g., using its Operation Panel, the paper type, e.g., Pro Luster, for the calibration that is closest to the paper type of my XYZ paper.  Correct?

View solution in original post

Hi blubery52 and pjglad.

Blubery52's last post is correct, as to the recommended process.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

If the media type that you are using is not available in the selection, it is usually best to use the Common Calibration type with a comparable media type setting.  Please contact Hahnemuehle to determine which media type setting should be used with the paper and this printer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The paper I seek to use is not among those in the "Media Type and Adjustment Type" table in the "Color Management/Paper that Can Be Used in Color Calibration" section of the Online Manual for the Pro-1000 (that table includes exclusively Canon papers).  And thus, when I attempt to perform a color calibration using the printer's Operation Panel, the paper I seek to use is not among the selectable paper types.

But when you suggest that I should "use the Common Calibration type with a comparable media type setting", I do not understand what you mean.  

Do you mean that I should do a calibration using the Canon paper that is most "comparable" to the Hahnemuhle paper I seek to use?  

Or do you mean that I should do a calibration using the Hahnemuhle paper I seek to use (inserting a sheet of the Hahnemuhle paper into the printer's manual feed slot) but selecting, e.g., via the printer's Operation Panel, the Canon paper that is most comparable to the Hahnemuhle paper I seek to use?

Hi blubery52.

We meant to select the media type closest to the type of paper you are using and then performing the calibration using that sheet.

To be crystal clear on this, then, to perform a color calibration for paper XYZ, I should load a sheet of paper XYZ into my PRO-1000 printer and direct my PRO-1000 to perform a color calibration selecting, e.g., using its Operation Panel, the paper type, e.g., Pro Luster, for the calibration that is closest to the paper type of my XYZ paper.  Correct?

I have the same question. I use Red River Pro Luster.

Hi blubery52 and pjglad.

Blubery52's last post is correct, as to the recommended process.

Just for the record:  I remain skeptical that the "recommended process" described above will yield better color performance relative to having the PRO-1000 perform color self calibrations using strictly the Canon papers that Canon engineers can be expected to have full knowledge of.

I calibrate with pro luster but, use the supplied profile from Ilford.  I have profiled the Ilford paper with my Color Munki and there is essentially no difference than the straight Canon caibration.  It seems you are a solution in search of a problem.

maucamo
Enthusiast

I understood that self calibration brings printer at correct color parameter after changing inks, head or after time. It is not paper-related, but it needs to re-calibrate how the printer makes colors. You cannot use papers that you cannot put on manual tray for self-calibration. And you should use Canon paper on manual tray and other papers in rear tray. After that, you can profile XYZ papers, but it is not related with self-calibration.

Announcements