cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The old B&W green tint, how fix?

Sensel
Contributor

On the Pro-100: printing a scan of a black and white negative. Good scan done on a Nikon Coolscan. The paper is, not the greatest. One of those sale packs. Made by a Chinese firm but branded with a once great U.S. camera maker name. Compared it with Canon paper: about the same whiteness/brightness to it before printing.
For first print I chose the generic glossy ICC and generic glossy paper choice for media.
The second print I chose the Canon option (no ICC, leave it to the printer) and the generic glossy paper for media again. 
Both look pretty good. Slight edge to the Canon option. So the word on the street to choose that for generic paper, seems to be true. Maybe that edge is even more pronounced with color prints… 
But both my prints have a very faint green tint. A sort of light green or yellow green cocktail olive tint or light caramel. Very subtle but, there.
Any suggestions on how to counteract the green? I would not mind loosing some shadow detail to get the blacks darker too. But without changing the contrast, which is perfect now.

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Go into the printer driver.

Select Main->Maual->Set and then check Print a pattern for color adjustment. Select the image that looks best and dial in the settings.

Capture2.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Not sure how this reply helps solve the problem as described.

Have the same problem but magenta tint.  Very noticable on B&W prints. Have to set  -12 on magenta scale, very critical adjustment .  Any answers ?. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Did you try it?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
B&W prints are sensitive to the paper (does it have optical brightened?) as well as the viewing lighting. I can get color cast or none depending on the lighting. If you get the print looking like you want by dialing in some adjustment then that’s your answer. That’s why the driver provides the option to print a test pattern.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you for your reply.  In trying to achieve a balance ,is there a test chart that helps with a gray scale and also colour rendition, say flesh tones. The set up pattern I find insufficient on its own, and have to try a number of prints to balance out the error. Is there a technical explanation for the imbalance, it only seems to be a recent problem with two printers I have used.

On my Pro-Ten, on the last page before printing towards the bottom of the box is an option to do "Black and White Print".   I don't always check it - and if it has been checked it *must* be unchecked to print color.

Announcements