cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several different Pixma Pro-10 issues with Mac OS X Catalina

Matthewlee
Apprentice

Hello everyone.  I am a long time Canon SLR and DSLR user.  I currently shoot with a 5DIV and predoinately use Lightroom on a Mac for my processing.   I've also been a long time Epson printer user, but I've been frustrated with my P600's propensity to clog, so I decided to try a Canon pritner, and I just bought the Pixma Pro-10. I have to say, I am quickly wondering if I made a big mistake!  I'm technologically pretty savvy, but I've found seting up the printer to be very frustrating.  Here are a couple of different isses that I'd love your advice on:

1)  A complete inability to find a comprehensive user manual:   I was very surprised to see that a simple PDF user manual doesn't seem to avaiable for the printer. Rather, on Canon's Guides and Manuals page, the only option is to download a DMG file that is supposed to allow me to install an "on-screen instruction manual in XHTML format."  As you Mac users know, with Catalina, Apple has "locked down" the types of applications one can install, only allowing apps to be installed that are downloaded from tne App Store or identified developers. When I first clicked on the package to install the instruction manual, I got an "unidentified developer" message.  However, I am aware of Terminal workaround to allow users to still install apps from anywhere, so I did that so I could try to install the software again.  The download comes with two packages:  a) mem_-mac-pro_10-1_10.pkg and b) Easy Guide Viewer_180.pkg.  Regarding the first pacakge, I got an "intaller enountered an error" message that I was able to dupliate on two different Macs.  Regarding the second package, I was able to install it, but when I tried to run it for the first time, I got an error message stating that the "developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macO." That is the message that one gets when an app is 32-bit instead of 64-bit.   So at this point, I am one who likes to be able to read through a user manual, and I do not have any access to one. That just boggles my mind for a $699 printer.  Any thoughts or advice?

2) Once I installed the Catalina driver that I downloaded from Canon's website got the printer connected to my WiFi, absent a user manual I just tried to figure things out on my own.  I've been antsy the past couple of weeks to print a picture on some Canson fine art paper, so I tried to set up a simple printer preset to print on that paper from the manual feed slot.  Unfortunately, when I would hit "print" I would get an error message telling me to install paper non in the manual feed slot but in the rear feed slot.  I double checked the "Canson" preset that I had set up, and so to may dismay that the specified paper was something other than the fine art paper and that the feeder was showing as the rear feed slot instead of the manual feed slot that I had specified. Thinking "user error, I must not have saved right",  I tried again...and again..and again, only to get hte same result. So somehow presets - at least for fine art paper - are not saving correctly in the driver.  There are at least two other threads in this forum in which users are stating they have this same issue.

Canon has some serious work to do here to make this printer, which it is still actively selling, usable for Mac OSX Catalina users.  I hope I didn't just purchase a $699 brick.

Matt 

1 REPLY 1

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Matthewlee,

The manual for your PIXMA PRO-10 can be viewed online:

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/M/PRO-10S%20series/EN/CNT/Top.html

In regards to the paper, what is the size of the Canson paper you are attempting to print with?  What is it's weight?

As a test, are you able to print on regular letter sized paper from the rear tray (not manual feed)?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements