cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper profile for Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper on the Pro 100

MrNeuter
Contributor

I own multiple Pro 100 printers and am hoping you guys can provide some guidance.  My favorite photo paper is Kirkland (Costco) Glossy, but I've not been able to figure out the best settings or which profile to use to achieve good results with this paper.  Any input would be appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53598634

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the input, Jeff.  I've seen some of your forum contributions and appreciate all the helpful advice you offer everyone.

I had seen the dpreview post, and have tried that profile and all the others, making notes along the way.  In comparing all the prints, I'm still not shot with any of them, frankly, as they all seem to exhibit idiosyncrasies.  I just wish that Costco and their paper vendor, who I have read may be Epson, would profile the paper and give us a definitive profile for the Pro 100.

I recently purchased a ColorMunki Photo, and am working on a profile for my MP980 and the Costco Professional GLossy Photo Inkjet paper.  I wonder if Costco changes vendors for this paper or even sources different sizes from different vendors.  This could explain why the major vendors don't offer profiles.

-Drew

Drew,

That makes sense...but for an outfit as big as Costco (plus Canon and perhaps Epson and others) to leave us all hanging is bad business on their part.  I mean, Costco must sell sea containers' worth of this paper a month/year, so why is no one stepping up and helping ensure that we all attain the best possible results?

MrNeuter

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Since you have the Pro-100 you can use Canon Print Studio Pro to make a pattern print and find the settings that give you the most pleasing result to your eyes.

Then it can be set in the driver as a saved setting.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for the tip, John, which, amazingly, I just now saw.  Smiley Tongue  I had downloaded, but not installed, PSP, but will belatedly do so now.  I appreciate the tip/reminder.  MrNeuter

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I have that paper ... but not the same printer (I have a PRO-10).  You can build your own profile if you have a calibration device.  (the X-Rite ColorMunki photo was replaced and now called the X-Rite i1 Studio).    I have an X-Rite i1 Photo Pro 2 ... but as I don’t have the same printer th profile wont be valid.

There are online services that will build a profile for you (you don’t have to buy a device).  Basically they have you print some test sheets (they provide the images) and you mail them off.  They scan your test sheets then build the profile for you using their own calibration devices.

If you use a variety of papers, it’s probably worthwhile to buy a printer calibration device.  But if just want a profile for just one or two papers... an online profile service might be more economical.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements