cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro 1000 - Print with "Low Ink" warning?

bwsaunders
Apprentice
I am in a bit of a bind and don't know where else to look for information. I own a Canon Pro-1000 printer (all up to date drivers), and have run into a low ink problem. 

This morning I received a low ink warning on two of my print cartridges. This is my first time having to replace them, but when I went to remove the cartridges, there is still ink sloshing in them. From my own research, I know there is still ink in the lines and inner supply tank. But, when I go to do a small test print, I get the "Error - Please check the printers op panel or Remote UI" message in the status window. 

Is there any way to dismiss the "New Notice" on the Printer and allow it to continue printing? I've turned off "Ink Monitoring" and restarted the printer but that doesn't work. I've read and spoken to other users who say that they continue printing with "Low Ink" warning until they get a red "Ink Empty" indication, but I can't see any way to do that. I am using the most recent version of Canon Professional Print and Layout Job Manager. 

Thank you very much for the help!

7 REPLIES 7

bwsaunders
Apprentice

I've weighed both print cartridges... they came in at 57 and 59 grams. I know that the fully empty cartridges weigh 37g, so I'm pretty baffled. Given the high cost of pigment inks, it seems crazy to discard that much ink.

Greetings,

The printer shouldn't abitrarily report low ink.  Something is obviously wrong.  Are you using Canon branded inks?  Canon measures ink ml, not in grams.  Is it possible you have a blockage?

If it were me, I'd want to know why my printer was unable to determine ink levels correctly.  Maybe a call to Canon is in order?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

bwsaunders
Apprentice
Thanks for your reply. These are Canon factor inks, never refilled or modified. You are correct re units of measure, but the only way I've read to truly know how much ink is left in a cartridge is to weigh it. I believe the volume is being measured correctly as the visual display on the printer and the in the printer dialogue on my Mac show it about 15-20% remaining, which seems consistent with what the weight tells me. Why the printer won't print with low ink remains there biggest question. I've tried taking steps to disable ink monitoring (holding down the stop button for 5 seconds) but that isn't working. I'll be calling canon tech support first thing in the morning.

nsoltz
Contributor
Same thing here. Printed with low ink warnings in 3 carts until it just didnt. So reluctantly changed them. My only guess is that printer estimates how much ink is needed to finish the job

I finally got to the bottom of this. There ended up being 4 factors that when all corrected, resulted in my ability to continue printing with the same cartridges. 

1. Despite downloading the newest Canon Professional Print and Layout when this problem started, it ended up not replacing the old version. I had to delete the old version and install the newest version again, 1.1.0. 

2. Despite having tried to previously update the printer, it had not updated to 3.010. A Canon tech support rep walked me how to turn on the Wireless update (a dizzying series of non intuitive steps), which ended up successful after a long download. 

3. Once all versions were updated, it still didn't want to print, throwing the error. It turns out that both the System Preferences and n Canon Pro Print and Layout will create a "new" printer if the printer is unplugged and repluged in. You can see this in System Preferences if there are 2 of the Pro-1000 printers, one will have a (2) after it. Delete that printer from System Preferences.

4. Same on the CPP&L. Under the "Printer" Dropdown menu, you will see identical Printer Names. You need to make sure you are selecting the lowest one (furthest from the top). I tried deleting the first one but for some reason it won't disappear. When I restart the program it will sometimes default to the top Printer, and you need to recheck the lower (newest one).

After all of this was complete (2 hours of tech support later), everything ended up working. Yay!

I hope this might help someone else who is in the same boat. 

nsoltz
Contributor
Sheesh..

braidedsoul
Apprentice

Even though this post is old. I will respond. I am so frustrated with Canon's tactics on getting you to buy their expensive ink. Not only should you buy their ink, but dont forget to get yourself a nice new shiny maintenance reservoir tank. You are going to need it after you install your new ink cartridges.

Also,, i was able to bypass printing in Canon's software by installing the plugin to print directly from Lightroom and Photoshop. Why on earth am I able to print from an Adobe product to a Canon printer but not from Canon software until my maintenance reservoir tank arrives. Beyond annoying!!!

Braidedsoul

Announcements