cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro 1000 Color cast on prints

paaflyer
Apprentice

I have a Canon PRO 1000. It has printed perfectly until very recently. Now all my prints come out with a yellowish caste/tint to them. I have a calibrated iMac monitor using the Datacolor SpyderX Pro. I have calibrated the printer in the maintenance area. I use Lightroom for all my photo editing and printing. For the monitor in Settings I have selected Apple Mac-1 for color profile created using the SpyderX. I use an ICC profile for the paper I use but have tried all the generic settings. Same result. In Lightroom I have tried various settings in the print module. Under printer settings/Printer options I have tried using calibrated, default, and diusregard value. same results. I have done print head cleanings and all colors come out OK. Cleanings make no change. Various photo papers also tried with same results. Yellowish looking. Bad colors due to yellow cast. Any ideas will be appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

frodrig
Apprentice

Hi! Same problems here but with magenta cast. No idea what is happening. All started to work badly from one day to another. The problem comes when I try from fine art problems using my computer (Mac). No matter the software I use. It also happens from Mirage that doesn't work with drivers... crazy. Very sad about this with the canon printer.

J-Gerard
Contributor

Looking for help with the same issue.  I have been printing with the Canon Pro-1000 since 2018 and my print workflow hasn't really changed.  RAW image capture from 5D, R and R5 cameras, Editing in Lightroom Classic, Monitor calibrated quarterly, Printing on Red River Paper with ICC profiles provided by Red River.  Up until this year 2023 I had no issues with the printer, colors were very accurate.  The only issues I ran into were related to monitor brightness and that was user error.  

Now I'm seeing a yellow color cast in my prints.  I initially thought I had the wrong color profile selected.  The colors are not just warmer, they appear to be flat, less vibrant as well.  It's immediately noticeable and the prints are unusable.  I printed a few days ago and I was thrilled to see accurate colors from the printer but a second print of the same image printed with the yellow color cast a few days later.  Very frustrating.  

One significant thing has changed in 2023, I upgraded my computer from a 27in iMac to a 16 in MacBook Pro (M2) earlier this year - and about the same time I started seeing this issue.  I have reinstalled the printer drivers but the results are the same.  

Support for this issue would be appreciated.  

J-Gerard
Contributor

Quick follow-up to my post - As I continue to troubleshoot this issue I switched to Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster paper.  I changed to the appropriate Canon ICC paper profile in Lightroom Classic and I see the same yellow cast to the image.  Finally, I ran the print again but I turned off the paper/printer profile and selected "Managed by Printer" in the Lightroom Classic print menu.  This time the print looked like what I see on my computer screen.  The colors are more vibrant and I do not see a yellow cast to the image.  

I can use this setting for now because I'm tired of wasting paper and ink on prints I can not use.  However, the issue seems to be the application of the ICC profiles.  Can anyone confirm my findings?  Has an update in the printer drivers or the transition to the new M1 or M2 chips on the Mac rendered the existing ICC profiles incompatible?  

My findings are the same as yours when it comes to black and white - only use canon papers, managed by printer.  Everything else, other papers and ICC profiles in black and white I get an awful color cast.  ICC profiles and other papers are only good with color.  Disappointment since there are so many lovely third party papers that would look good for black and white images.

paaflyer
Apprentice

This happened some time ago. I seem to recall fixing it by uninstalling the printer in the settings area and reinstalling the printer. At the same time or in concert with this I also downloaded the printer driver at canon. After reinstalling the printer it all worked again. I think the problem was caused by an update to my mac iOS. Withe new canon driver and after reinstall all ok again.

J-Gerard
Contributor

Thanks  paaflyer, I installed the latest drivers when I set up my new MacBook, and I'm pretty sure I reinstalled the drivers when I first noticed the print issues because I chose the Apple "AirPrint" drivers first and that didn't work at all.  

However, I may need to go ahead and try a full reinstall of the drivers because the problem continues when I enable any of my ICC print profiles on Canon or Red River papers.  

Don't use the AirPrint unless you need it. I use the other one since I am hooked up by cable to the printer. Y0u get more control and options not using the AirPrint driver.

kngdmond
Apprentice

This just recently happened to me as well. I was running Windows 10 and prints perfectly represented what I saw on my display.  I did a fresh install of Windows 11, installed the latest drivers, updated the printer firmware and now I have a sepia / tan color cast on all prints using any Canon paper profile.  I used a Xrite Studio1 and calibrated the display, and created a custom paper profile.   Same weird color cast.  I uninstalled the Xrite management and tried using DisplayCal and did an extensive monitor calibration and paper profile.  Still have the color cast.  I uninstalled DisplayCal, deleted all spooler color profiles associated with Canon, unistalled the printer, and reinstalled the drivers again.  I factory reset the printer.  I printed with PS managing color, turned off PS management and used the printer, I even used the Canon Pro software disabled all color management and still got the wierd hue.  Even QImage printed with the strange hue.  I used srgb, Adobe RGB, Display RGB, and everything looked fine, but as soon as I picked any Canon paper it added the hue.    As a test I sent the file to my cell phone and printed to the printer and the color looked perfect.  So there's got to be something messed up with the driver and new OS's.  I called Canon support and spent a good 45 minutes trying to figure it out and the tech was stumped and had no suggestion.  Guess I'm stuck printing from my phone or an external device until they fix it...if they ever do.

Kngdmond, I feel your pain.  While I continue to troubleshoot the issue or get a fix from Canon, I have been letting the printer manage the color (gasp!) and my prints look very good, no color cast.  This is just a Band-Aid not a solution.  I am now looking at the "Advanced Paper Settings" in the printer driver.  At first glance you might not think this section has anything to do with color management, but... the "Calibration Value:" is tied to the printers internal calibration function.  The options are "Printer Default, Use Value, Disregard Value" and my driver defaults to "Printer Default".  Changing this to "Disregard Value" turns off this calibration adjustment.  I still need to run a few tests but my first pass did not have the color cast.  More prints to come, I'll share my findings once I have printed enough to share some findings. 

Announcements