cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-100: used to print perfectly, now all muddy

EKphoto
Apprentice

Hey all... hoping someone might have some advice for this frustrating problem...

I've owned a Pro-100 for about 2 years now. When I first purchased it, it produced absolutely stunning prints with little to no tinkering or tweaking required. By simply using the correct ICC profiles and print settings, each print perfectly matched what I was seeing on my Mac.

Fast forward to now: I am *this close* to ditching the printer altogether. Every print is a dark, muddy mess and no matter what tweaking I do in Photoshop, I still can't achieve acceptable results.

What could possibly have caused such a dramatic change in the quality of the prints?

FYI: I'm on a 27" iMac from late 2013 running Yosemite, Lightroom 6.3 and Photoshop CS6. Currently, I am trying to print on Canon Luster and Semi-Gloss paper and the ICC profiles are up to date.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What's different between then and now? Have you changed inks? Have you performed a nozzle check and head cleaning? Have you updated/changed computer operating system?

How do you know ICC profiles are up to date?

since you have Lightroom try printing with Print Studio Pro. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

What's different between then and now? Have you changed inks? Have you performed a nozzle check and head cleaning? Have you updated/changed computer operating system?

-- new iMac and OS as of a year ago, but pretty sure this set up was no problem when I first bought it.

-- recently replaced inks with a fresh set after this problem began, but print quality did not improve.

-- I'm not sure if I have performed a nozzle check and head cleaning since problem began, but I will do so.

The only other major change, which I doubt would affect the print quality, is that I switched from a Canon 7D to a 5D Mark III about 6 months ago.

Go to Canon site and download/install latest driver. When you add printer to the computer. be sure you add IJ Printer version and not Bonjour version. Is there a reason you don't want to upgrade to El Capitan?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements