cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-10 Printing Issue with Catalina

allanj
Contributor

I got a new MacBook Pro and set up my Pro-10 with the latest driver for Catalina. Previously, for the past 5 years I had been printing from my Mac Pro via USB using LIghtroom. Everything looked good, except that when I select Other Fine Art 1 (or any paper except Platinum Pro N), High Quality, Black and White and click "Save" and come back, the setting has reverted to Platinum Pro. (If I print on Platinum Pro, the image looks fine ... but if I print on my usual Hannemuhle, it sure sucks and I can tell it is printing faster than what it does on the Standard Quality setting.

I've tried everything, reinstalling the driver (multiple times) removing the printer and starting over (with the IJ Network setting) giving me the correct driver ... matching the number of the Canon file.

The Lightroom print dialong behaves like this, so does Pages, Preview, Photoshop, etc.

Canon tech support said that maybe my virus software kept the file from installing properly. But I get no message and if it didn't install properly, I would expect it not to work at all.

Anyone have this experience or have any ideas for a solution?

By the way, I had a copy of Windows in Fusion that I installed the driver on and it prints normally.

17 REPLIES 17

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Try deleting the printer driver following this:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART158050

Then try reinstalling. Turn off the virus software just in case it is affecting the install.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

thanks for that...

it didn't resolve the issue though.

I think that link is pretty old, there are some changes since then.

The folder that you are told to delete is named BJPrinter, which I assume stands for BubbleJet. I deleted that anyway, plus the files inside the IJPrinter folder, and the printer driver for the Pro10 ... the path of which is 

Macintosh HD>Library>Printers>PPDs>Contents>Resources>CanonIJPro10series/ppd.gz

There aren’t any .pkg files in the Receipts folder… and nothing that includes a reference to printers or Canon.

CFMSupport no longer exists and BJExtDDI.cfm doesn’t exit there or anywhere.

There's references to a link if you are running OS 10.3. that's a few back (15 years?)

But thanks for your ideas.

If you got any more (besides buying an Epson), I'd be happy to hear.

allanj
Contributor

Latest update:

The Canon phone tech support took me back through all my steps and still didn't work. They left me with "try updating the firmware on the printer". But the firmwater installer won't run even on Mojave, let alone Catalina. I was skeptical anyway, since the printer was working fine before installing the new driver.

I went and looked to see if I could install the Mojave driver, but they have all been updated to the new version. 

I have also been trying to work through JustAnswer ... and their last comment was "looks like you are out of luck and needd to wait until Canon relases and update to the driver. Yikes. since the driver is only a month old and their firmware package is 6 years old, how long do I have to wait to get a new driver???

I just purchased the new 16 inch Macbook Pro and am having the same issue; I thought I was going crazy. I still have my old computer (it's on 10.14) and it's working fine.

Any other updates on this? Catalina has been out over a month and a lot of professionals rely on this software for their workflows!!

Here's a quick update—I copied my drivers over from my old computer's library folder as well as my user printer folder (which was still on 10.14 and had the old drivers, (14.4 to be exact) not the updated ones) and in LR and PS it was showing the correct paper and saving the settings when I closed out of it.

However, as soon as I went to print, I was told there was an error because the driver was not supported by the OS and I needed to update; and as soon as I updated the issue returned.

This proves though with 100% certainty the problem is within the printer drive itself. 

CANON, PLEASE FIX THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!!

Got frustrated enough that I bought an Epson P800.

Besides the fact that it provides excellent images, the Epson Fine Art settings don't require as large a margin, getting you more image on the same size paper.

I'll sell the Canon to someone with a PC

What's crazy to me is it's clearly an issue with the driver software yet they made you go through hoops to test it without them even considering it.

All this should need is a simple update, I feel like this should be a widespread issue, no? Is canon not aware of this serious bug? It basically renders their printers useless on Catalina, especially if working with fine art paper.

I had an issue with my Mac Pro's wireless card that I ended up taking to a shop. They ended up tracing the issue to a conflict with Catalina and Intego (my anti-virus and web barrier software).

So, just a question: are you using Intego? Then ended up installing a clean version of Intego and the wireless card issues were resolved. 

Just been using Mac Pro again for printing to see if it works better also. It seems to.

The print dialog doesn't seem to work the same way it did before, but at least the settings seem to stick. I think.

I haven't reinstalled Lightroom, as I am planning on selling the Mac Pro.

The settings seem to revert to the Plantinum Pro between prints, but the test prints I do seem okay.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That’s exactly the problem. Always Platinum Pro. I think it seems to print OK since PtPro is a glossy paper and most glossy papers are pretty much the same.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements