cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer has "copies" of itself when selecting which printer to use

KiwiBird
Contributor

I have two questions:

1) What is the difference between the regular printer and the printer with XPS? WHich one should I be printing from?

2) Why does it show two versions of each printer? Sometimes it says I can't even print from the regular one but have to use the one with (copy) in its name, why is that?

Also I don't know why I have so many printers on here...I only had three seperate printers I tired hooking up but it says I have 10?

printers.jpg

printers 2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Sometimes if you reinstall the driver the system creates a second version of the device.

If you go into Device Manager you can see if the driver versions are different for the two printer instances.

Screenshot 2020-12-15 200654.jpg

You can ignore or delete the extra copy. It only comes into play if you select it when you go to print.

The XPS version is supposedly a 16-bit printing pipeline. There seem to be an unlimited number of discussions on line about 16-bit printing in Windows. 

If you use Canon Print Studio Pro it will use the XPS driver. I have compared both the standard and XPS driver and haven't seen a difference, but I also haven't seen any problems, so I use the XPS version when printing from Lightroom. I don't use PSP.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Sometimes if you reinstall the driver the system creates a second version of the device.

If you go into Device Manager you can see if the driver versions are different for the two printer instances.

Screenshot 2020-12-15 200654.jpg

You can ignore or delete the extra copy. It only comes into play if you select it when you go to print.

The XPS version is supposedly a 16-bit printing pipeline. There seem to be an unlimited number of discussions on line about 16-bit printing in Windows. 

If you use Canon Print Studio Pro it will use the XPS driver. I have compared both the standard and XPS driver and haven't seen a difference, but I also haven't seen any problems, so I use the XPS version when printing from Lightroom. I don't use PSP.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Oh thats odd because I don't think I tried installing it twice. And it seems I can only print from the ones labeld (copy 1) so maybe I'll remove the first ones. If I have issues with it I can always try to reinstall the whole thing. The drivers say they are the same so not sure why there is 2 of each.

Also when I go under "device manager" I don't see an option for "printers," just "printer queue" but I guess I can still access the same info you were trying to show me.

That's strange. I guess if its working I wouldn't worry.

The other option would be to uninstall both copies and do a clean install.

Do you see a driver listed in Programs & Features?

Screenshot 2020-12-16 085434.jpg

First the regular driver and then the XPS driver.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements