cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print Studio Pro not working with XPS printer driver

PeterD
Contributor

After changing to Windows 10 OS I'm finding the Print Studio Pro software will not print when the 16 bit XPS driver is selected. When the final print command is given the image data loading indicator loads and then the program feezes and doesn't allow the user to cancel printing or exit the program and a reset of the PC is required to exiit the program.  

With the same software and image file the printing proceeds normally if the standard PRO100 printer driver (8 bit type) is selected.

It is possible to print a Windows test sheet using the XPS driver straight from the Windows printer driver test facility but printing fails when the image is loaded into Adobe CS5 and then opened in the Canon Print Studio Pro plug in for printing.

Currently I'm using the updated drivers  (Canon Pro100 and Pro100 XPS) for Windows 10 and Print Studio Pro version 1.4.1 for Windows 10.

16 REPLIES 16

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Hi Peter. When you initially install the Canon driver you need to have USB disconnected until installation tells you to connect. For XPS driver you just double click and let it install. No need to unplug USB.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I wouldn't be surprised if the previous driver removal step isn't built into the driver installation software. The step executes, removes the old driver if it's there, continues on if it isn't.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John,

I appreciate your interest but can only report at this stage that I've failed to get Windows 10 and the XPS driver for the Pro100 printerto work together and have I've accepted the possibility that it may never work.

I now make sure that I  do not print files with a wider colour space than RGB1998 and so far I've have not had banding problems.

On the advice of Microsoft (because I have a custom built PC) I've updated one of the motherboard drivers but will not be flashing the Bios for Windows10 because of the possibility of real problems. 

I also seem to be having problems now with my X Rite i1Dispay 2 monitor calibrator not actually recording the new profile properly as when I restart my PC it is advising that the profile it has just made is not installed.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi Peter. I upgraded to W10 and downgraded back to W7 for that exact same reason. My X Rite monitor profile wouldn't load. I could do it manually but each time computer restarted I had to repeat process. And I never saw any advantage to W10.

My exact problem was that W10 wouldn't recognize my monitor as a generic plug and play monitor. It reported unknown monitor. I initially thought it was because It was an older LaCie. 

I've seen others report same problem on Internet.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The XPS printer driver and PSP work as they should on my Dell Win10 machine so it will work.  Sorry I can't offer further advice because I have no idea why it doesn't on yours.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi ebiggs1,

I'm thinking that you may have answered the question about the combatibility of Windows 10 in your latest post, namely that because you have a PC made by a known manufacturer (Dell) the Windows 10 OS is fully compatable without further intervention.

When I spoke to a Microsoft technical advisor about my problems she immediately asked which commercial brand of PC I was using and advised that reverting to Windows 7 might be my prefered option if I was using a custom built machine.

I'm using custom built PC with a Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Ultra durable motherboard with Intel i7 processor and DDR3 RAM totaling 32Gb with a 240Gb SSD ie. a PC  built around the requirements of Photoshop.

When questioned further she admitted that Win 10 as released was designed for known brands as far as the drivers and BIOS  were concerned and that I might have to consider upgrading these if I wished to persist with Win10. These upgrades are available for my motherboard and so far I've loaded one new driver but as indicated in my last post I'm reluctant to flash a new BIOS without a lot more research.

Once again thank you for your interest.

Hi John,

Wow thanks for that. The murk is clearing as regards the culprit here. As you will see in my reply to ebiggs1 according to Microsoft these problems are likely to arise with Win10 installation into custom PC's and it's evident from my experience so far that Microsoft are certainly aware of this.

A shame that they didn't post clear warnings alongside their very persistant invitations to upgrade.

Although it is possible that I needed a reinstall of Win 7 before changing but I did find that after installing Win10 the stability of Photoshop CS5 was improved.

I'll dig into this further over the coming weeks as my son is employed in the computer industry on the front line with customers and may be able to make suggestions from feedback at his workplace.

Peter

Announcements