cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print Colors Off After Changing Ink Cartridges in PIXMA PRO-100

abdinoodle
Contributor

Hi there,

The colors of my prints are off after I changed the ink cartridges in my Pixma Pro 100 printer. All settings are the same:

• Mode of Photoshop document: CMYK Color
  • Printing on IJ Network
  • ICC profile from Canon: Canon Pro 100 <LU> 3 Photo Paper Pro Luster
  • Photoshop is managing colors
  • Black point compensation is on
  • Printing perceptual
  • Color sync is on

I'm not sure what's throwing off the prints, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

20 REPLIES 20

Hi John, I make sure ColorSync is always selected for me and greyed out.

Want to call out that when I check to make sure ColorSync is selected (and it is and it’s greyed out), if I click into another print setting to check something (but don’t make changes) and then go back to Color Matching, the option has somehow switched from ColorSync to the other option and it’s still greyed out.

I believe this is an issue with the Apple or Canon software from a recent update that I’m not sure how to fix. If I hit cancel and then go back to print settings and color matching, ColorSync is magically selected again and greyed out.  

I feel like I’m back at square one with this printing challenge throwing my colors off.

@abdinoodle wrote:

Hi John, I make sure ColorSync is always selected for me and greyed out.

Want to call out that when I check to make sure ColorSync is selected (and it is and it’s greyed out), if I click into another print setting to check something (but don’t make changes) and then go back to Color Matching, the option has somehow switched from ColorSync to the other option and it’s still greyed out.

I believe this is an issue with the Apple or Canon software from a recent update that I’m not sure how to fix. If I hit cancel and then go back to print settings and color matching, ColorSync is magically selected again and greyed out.  

I feel like I’m back at square one with this printing challenge throwing my colors off.

1. try reinstalling the printer driver. For reasons I have never understood sometimes the driver gets corrupted.

2. run a nozzle check.

3. maybe print a calibrated test image and see how it looks.

PrinterEvaluationImage_V002_ProPhoto.tif

Don't make any adjustments to the image, just open it and print it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thanks for sending over that image. I’ll go ahead and print it and post the results for you see.

Before I do that, when you say printer driver, do you mean the software for the printer, or do you mean removing the printer and adding it again?

Also want to mention I’m printing from IJ network so Bonjour or AirPrint isn’t messing up my prints.

I would just download and reinstall the CUPS driver and then see how the nozzle check and test image looks. 
If you are still having issues then it would be worth trying to reset the printing system, which will wipe out everything to a fresh start. 
Myself and others have resolved issues by just reinstalling the driver. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I reinstalled the driver and the nozzle check looked good.

Below is the image you sent me printed out. Colors definitely don’t look as vibrant and almost look like they have a yellow cast to them.

I copied and pasted it in to photoshop and printed in a CMYK doc set up. I didn’t edit it and I know you said not to make any changes. Was I supposed to print from the link directly?

IMG_9228.jpeg

Update: Printed it again directly from the link with no color profile applied, and the colors look a little better (maybe?), with the most notable difference being the color grid at the bottom.

Overall, colors still look faded compared to my computer screen. The updated print looks like it might not have as much of a yellow cast but still looks to have some.

Let me know what you make of it, John. 

IMG_9229.jpeg

To separate out any Photoshop effects do you have another viewer you can try printing from? I don’t print frpm Ps, I use LrC, so the CYMK choice isn’t something I deal with. I agree that the prints don’t look right. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Does printing from the link directly not separate out the photoshop effects? I opened the link and printed from there so the CMYK mode should not have been applied. That was the second image I added to the edited post above.

Want to call out the print box looked different than it typically does in Photoshop. It mirrors my typical Mac print box. I checked this by downloading the image you provided and opening it in Preview and pretended to print from that application and the print boxes were the same.

Additionally, ColorSync was not greyed out so I had the option to select ColorSync or Canon Color Matching along with a profile, which I kept as Automatic. Here's what the print box looks like:

Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 1.09.48 PM.png

I agree that the direct print does have a yellowish cast. 

What if you try selecting Canon Color, Automatic, Printer manages color and just select the Canon paper type?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Someone else just posted about a Pro-1000 color problem and said that just reinstalling the driver didn’t help but completely removing and rethe printer did. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

In your third screenshot, click on Print Settings...and that will bring you to the Pro-100 Properties screen on which you will see Main. Clicking on Main will show you Color/Intensity, then select Manual, click on Set and then Matching and you will finally see the option to click None.

Announcements