cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 100

dcasey
Contributor

I'm having trouble getting greens to come out on Pixma Pro 100. I print from Print Studio Pro on Windows 64 bit, and my greens come out very dark and shadowy.

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Can you post a screenshot of your settings?

What paper are you using?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Using glossy paper. Here are my latest settings, although I am playing with different brightnesses. The trees under the bridge are dark and shadowed when printed.

PPro settings.png

I think you are experiencing two things. 

1. A reflected light print behaves differently than a backlit monitor, and

2. Very likely your monitor is two bright. 

Here is a good article for you to read. 

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi...

http://www.colourphil.co.uk/why-are-my-prints-too-dark.shtml

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yeah, I calibrate with color munky, and I bumped the brightness up because my images are much darker than they appear on screen. Is there a way to repeat the test image process that was done during setup? This comes to mind after reading the article you linked. Thanks.

Since you ahve a profiler you can control things numerically; I would start with monitor brightness at 50%.

A lot depends on your work room conditions, but I would recommend no brighter than 120 cd/m^2 for your monitor. I work in a dim room, have no light shining directly on my monitor screen (monitor hood and light keyboard from above and slightly behind monitor), and have brightness at 80 cd/m^2.

Download the test image in the first article I linked to and then open it in your photo processing software. Do not make any adjustments to the image - don't worry how it looks on the monitor.

Print it using the appropriate settings; I let the program control printing, so I set the media type and ICC profile in software. You can do that in PSP.

Then, see how the print looks. I've done this with a number of folks in person and given this advice in the forum. Turns out the print looks great. If you're happy with the print then you need to turn down the monitor to match the print. In the off chance the print is too dark or bright then you can fine tune printer control and then adjust monitor.

In your print the trees look like they really are in shadow. Depending on the software you are using you might be able to brighten the shadows. You don't want a global adjustment since you would make other areas of the print too light.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

there is some shade but mostly sunlit. Here is exactly how I am trying to get the print, but it just never comes out.

psp 3.png

Announcements