cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro-100, ICC Profiles, etc

JohnB352
Contributor

I'll try to make a long story short.  About 5 months ago I bought a Canon T3i camera.  Didn't like the prints I got at department stores, bought a PIxma Pro-100.  Did some more research, realized I need to calibrate my monitor, bought a Datacolor Spyder Pro 4.

My question(s) are about the software used to get the prints.  I don't have PhotoShop, and I don't want to buy it.  I have PaintShop Pro, but realize I can't use that.  My computer is Win7.  I don't know cameras, but I've been in IT for 30 years.  I know computers.

I am not pleased with the prints I've gotten so far.  The colors all look weak (for lack of a better word).  Everything I've read about the Pro100 says the colors should be rich (saturated).  Mine are not.

I first tried the software that came with my camera.  Digital Photo Professional.  It works with the Canon plugin, Print Studio Pro.  It seems that it recognized, or loads, the ICC profiles for the Canon paper I use.  It doesn't seem to recognize or give me the option to pick an ICC profile for my monitor.  

I called Canon support.  The guy I talked to recommended Easy-PhotoPrint EX software.  Said it should have come on the CD with my Pixma.  It did not.  That software does not use the Canon plugin.  And seems more limited.  He said it works well with Canon cameras.  Honestly, he seemed like he was BS'ing me the whole time.  If you don't know the answer, it's ok to just say so, is my feeling.

Ok, it turned out to be a long story.  Can someone help me?  This printer I have does not measure up to everything I've read about it.  I've spent a bunch of money to get good prints from my Canon camera.  I don't have that, not even close.  What do I need to do??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In DPP go to Tools->Preferences->Color Management and you can select a monitor profile.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In DPP go to Tools->Preferences->Color Management and you can select a monitor profile.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks I'll try that tonight.

On the Canon printer driver, is color management supposed to be enabled or disabled?  I found conflicting answers in other forums.

The answer depends on how you are printing. If you use Canon Print Studio Pro it does all the appropriate adjustments after you pick the option in CPSP.

If you are printing from photo software there will generally be an option to either let the printer manage the printing or have the software manage printing. In the software managed printing option you would choose paper profiles in the softwarer and in the printer driver set color management to None.

Here is a good resource: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlV7cqqladQ&feature=youtu.be

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Ok, I am going to be printing using CPSP.  In there under Color Management;  Color Mode is set to Use ICC Profile, Printer Profile is set to the ICC profile for the Canon paper I'm using, and I don't know if it matters but Rendering Intent is set to perceptual.  So in this situation it does not matter if color "Color/Intensity Manual Adjustment" is checked or not? (on the driver)

If you are using CPSP you don't need to be doing anything with the driver.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Ok, thanks.

I came across the video you linked to a couple days ago.  Very helpful.

Thanks.

Announcements