cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 100 - Color Issues

faile486
Contributor

I'm fairly new to color management, but so far, it's been a NIGHTMARE.  I'm hoping I can get some guidance on what to try next 😃

I'm not printing photos, I'm printing digital artwork.  Each piece has a limited color palette, close to 10-15 colors.  I thought that would make it easier, but it doesn't seem like it so far.  I did what I think a lot of new people do - made something in photoshop, printed it out, and despaired at the color discrepancy.  I started researching color management, learned about ICC profiles, but couldn't find any for my printer (an old Brother office printer).  I decided to buy a ColorMunki Photo so I could calibrate my monitor and my printer.  I also purchased some Canon Semi-Gloss 8x10 photo paper, three different types of sticker paper from onlinelabels.com, cause I figured the ColorMunki would solve all my color problems.

I got the ColorMunki, profiled both devices, and did a few test prints.  They weren't any better than the ones without a profile - different, but not really better.  I was getting closer results printing from Chrome without any color management on some pieces!

I posted on Reddit, and the general consensus was my printer just wasn't up to snuff.  I'd been eyeing the Pixma Pro 100 for more than a year, it was on sale, so I bought it.  Profiled it, printed, and the results were again slightly better, but still not good.

I did some more research and came across DisplayCAL, which is a more detailed version of the ColorMunki default software?  Again, I saw a slight improvement.

I'm now looking at getting a new monitor, but this is getting INSANELY expensive, and I'd like to be sure I've exhausted all other options first.  A new monitor is looking like it'll be $400+, and not as large as the one I'm currently using.  I really like my current monitor.  I've got a show in two weeks.  Right now, I'm doing guess and check color correction, just so I have SOMETHING printed to sell.  I've used over half my original pack of 50 paper on this, but at least it's pretty cheap on Amazon right now.

The prints tend to come out much darker and less saturated than they appear on screen.  I was able to get the largest improvement yet by turning my monitor brightness and contrast down very low (it actually makes it difficult for me to use the monitor for anything other than color correcting at these settings), much lower than the PhotoMunki was saying they should be, using either version of the software.

I've profiled both my monitor and my printer dozens of times.  I really have no idea what to try.  Whatever I do, it seems like my monitor is displaying colors that my printer just won't print.

Other info:

• We bought daylight balanced bulbs for my workroom, it can be either SUPER bright, normal indoor lighting, or dark.  Makes little difference.
  • I've tried setting the image mode to both RGB and CMYK and haven't noticed a difference.
  • I've tried using Edit > Convert to Profile - Adobe RGB, sRGB, the printer profile from the ColorMunki, the default Canon 100 profile.
  • Uninstalled f.lux after realizing I forgot to deactivate it during one of the monitor profiling attempts.
39 REPLIES 39

According to something I just read on Reddit, my monitor is not really ideal for photo proofing.  It's a TN panel, not an IPS.  I know from other research IPS are better (although I don't really know why).

If I'm using paper that I don't have an ICC profile for - like sticker paper - would I need to make profiles using the ColorMunki?

I'll try out the ICC profile you recommended.  I'm on my last sheet of paper, though, and won't get the new paper till tomorrow/monday.

**EDIT**
What's the difference between the <SG> 1/2 and the <SG> 3?

I was just looking at Reddit as well. This link may have some help. 

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm

As as a first try I would choose a media type with the same surface properties as the sticker paper and use the Canon profile for that paper. 

The ½ and 3 are the quality settings. I always use 1 or High, depending on selection option in the driver. 

In principle paper profiling is desireable and should give best quality. In practice it is difficult and I've seen posts (and have personal experience) where ordering custom profiles gave worse results than the vendor profiles.

Found this:

https://www.xrite.com/service-support/poor_results_with_colormunki_display_on_pc

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I used my last sheet of paper to print out the test image using the profile you suggested, and I'm pretty sure it worked!  I've got more paper on order, so I'll be able to test it more on Monday.

I'll test the glossy and matte photo paper profiles with our sticker paper and see how that goes.

Thank you so much!

Does the sticker paper maker provide printer setting recommendations?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Even though this isn’t for the Pro-100 it does explain the profiles. 

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART106964

Looks like the 2005 profile could be used for your sticker paper as a start. 

I tried a print print using the IJ...2005 profile and got poor results. 

I think your your printer will be on target with the correct profiles. 

An idea to consider.  Reddit and the link I provided give recommendations for calibration and in the article in my link he gives a link to a custom profile he created.  You could try those.

If you don’t really need the gaming  features I suggest you consider returning the calibration device and look into a photo monitor. Dell and BenQ sell good photo monitors at reasonable prices. They generally have a factory calibrated setting for Abobe RGB color, which is what you want for photo work.

If you needed to profile you could look into rental 

Let me know how your print comes out. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Everything seems to be working great!  The stickers are a bit of a problem, because they don't print from Photoshop directly, but I think I've found a workaround, printing a PDF from the other program, then opening and printing the PDF in Photoshop.

That's great.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Is there a good way to calibrate the Canon printer to print accurately if I can't select an ICC profile?  The sticker software allows me to select the media type (I'm selecting a glossy Canon photo paper), but there aren't any color handling options other than Color/Intensity Manual Adjustment.

I think the PDF method might be throwing off the cut lines.

Can you post a screenshot of the sticker software print option page?

Also, found this. https://www.reddit.com/r/artistalley/comments/8jdyj7/printing_stickers_at_home_with_a_canon_pixma_pr...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

syvehc
Apprentice

I am having the same issue with the pixma pro 100.  I am ready to throw this thing out!  No matter what I do it prints dark and the color's are slightly off.  I don't use photo shop, but nothing I do works.  I though I had a icc that worked with on1.  No luck.  How do I get it to work without photo shop?  I downloaded the image PrinterEvaluationImage_V002 and it's off.  I can't make it come out the way it should.  I'm starting to think canon does this on purpose.  I even processed one at walgreens to see and the walgreens print looks so much better.  I don't know what else to do.  I have tried all the setting and nothing works.

Announcements