cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper for Pro10S

RodYo
Apprentice

Hi. Just bought a Pro 10S and results have been good. with Innove Semi-matte paper. I'm running out and thinking about what would be best to buy next. I've tried Platinum pro but it's glossy and that doesn't suit my images. I thought about switching to Canon papers either semi-matte or luster (what exactly is the difference?).Or perahps another third party supplier.

I am really new to the Canon Pro having owned an HP previously so any recommendations/explanations about paper wiould be very gratefully received.

Many thanks

Rod

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I don't think Canon has a semi-matte paper. Canon did have semi-gloss. It is essentially same surface as luster.

Photo Paper Pro Luster is a good all around paper. Platinum Pro is very glossy ( as you found out) and doesn't work for all images.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Or perahps another third party supplier."

Give Red River a try.  They have a wealth of info on Canon printers, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Red River has had a lot of good press but I can't get it in the UK. I was hoping one of the Canon papers might be good for high quality work. Still can't undesrtand the difference between Canon's semi-gloss and luster. Is it that one tends to the gloss end and the other matte. I used to print on Ilford with my HP and the results were pretty good.

What I'm really searching for is the best match for the printer and was hoping someone might tell me of a magic combination.

Anyway, thanks for your replies.

Rod

"Red River has had a lot of good press but I can't get it in the UK."

Why?  They ship to the UK.

From their web site;

"By placing an order for delivery outside North America, you agree to our overseas shipping policy outlined below. Available services are UPS or US Priority Mail International"

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm sure they do but they don't state shipping costs so I would prefer to look for a locally based supplier of paper.

@RodYo wrote:
I'm sure they do but they don't state shipping costs so I would prefer to look for a locally based supplier of paper.

I am inside of the United States, but items that do not have "free shipping" tell you what the shipping costs will be when you set up an order.  Beleive it or not, vendors do tell you ahead of tme how much they will charge for shipping your order, but you must first set up an order, and select a shipping method.. 

In your case, paper can be rather heavy, and likely costly to ship overseas.  I'm sure that there is a Canon site for you location that can tell you where vendors are in your area, if not sell and ship to you directly with lower shipping charges than for the same item(s) being shipped from the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for all the replies. Shipping costs from the US do tend to be expensive and I am assuming this will make an order from Red River prohibitive. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a similar site to this in the UK so that is why I posted here. As for general printing forums they are dominated by Epsom issues as they are the most popular photo printers. I'll keep on with trial and error with matching printer to paper. I'm sure I'll find a best match. I was really just hoping for a pointer in the right direction to save the time and expense in trying out many combinations.

I'll try to find a Red River suppier over here.

Cheers

Rod

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Luster has a slight textured surface. Semi-gloss is smooth surface. Luster less likely to show fingerprints.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements