cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO-10S strange banding in shadows only

stex07
Apprentice

I have had generally good experience of this printer but have a wicked problem I can't solve.

I'm trying to print an image of a church interior which has a section in deep shadow. I'm printing from Lightroom CC Classic (most up to date version) on an iMac - latest software too.

I have edited the image a little, then soft proofed, checking that it is entirely in gamut and then printed using Perceptual on a  Fotospeed paper for which I have a tailor-made ICC profile so all should be well but I get this strange light banding in the shadows - please see attached image.

I have printed a test image and all looks well and inks are ok etc.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!Forum.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Looks like one of your blacks is having an issue.

Open "System Preferences" on your mac

Select "Printers & Scanners"

Highlight the Canon PRO-10 printer on your list.

Click "Options & Supplies..." (this opens a sub-window)

Select the "Utility" category (across the top of that sub-window)

Click "Open Printer Utility"

This launches Canon's "Canon IJ Printer Utility" program.

Use the pull-down menu to pick the "Ink Level Information" panel.  Check that your ink levels aren't low (and based on your image, I'd guess you are mostly interested in the levels of the blacks... there's the PBK (gloss black) and MBK (matte black) tanks that control this.  There is also GY (gray) tank... but I'm guess it's a black ink.

Use the pull-down menu to pick the "Test Print" menu.

Load a sheet of paper and run the "Nozzle Check"

Based on the results of your nozzle check, you may need to run a "Cleaning" ... then re-perform a "Nozzle Check".  If that didn't fix it, you may need to run "Deep Cleaning" (which is going to waste more ink).

If that doesn't fix it... you may wish to call Canon support.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I went to clean the heads only to discover the.MBK black was low. I’ve ordered a new one and will post in a couple of days if it solves the problem or not. 

Thanks again.

Dear T Campbell,

Your assessment was absolutely correct - thank you!

I have installed a new PBK reservoir and all is well.

I very much appreciate your help.

Announcements