cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA PRO-100 Print head shelf life

gastan
Contributor

I have a Pixma Pro-100 that has been sitting in the box for 3 or 4 years. It was never opened and the print head and ink cartridges were in the original, unopened packaging. I finally installed it and everything went well. Installed drivers and printed out a nozzle check and aligned the print head. All seemed good.

However, the first time I tried to print with it, the alarm light started flashing. Five flashes indicating a problem with the print head. Tried printing again and got a support code 1405 message - - which I googled and found was, again, a problem with the print head. I removed and reinstalled the print head to no effect. Same problem.

Do print heads have a shelf life? Even when in an unopened OEM packaging? Is there anything more I could try?

Thanks for any pointers.

3 REPLIES 3

gastan
Contributor

I should add that I am using a Windows 10 Home x64 machine and the printer is connected via USB cable.

Hi,

You can try taking out the print head and reinstalling it. You can also unplug the power cord from the printer. While the power is off, press the power button 5 times. After 60 seconds plug the power cord back in and power on the printer.

If the issue persists, the printer would need to be replaced. You would qualify for the Canon Upgrade program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Mon-Sat, 9 AM to 9pm EST excluding holidays.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

gastan
Contributor

Thank you, ArthurJ for your post. Sorry for the late response. Have been distracted (by life). Have also been trying  various solutions that I have googled and been told to try, including soaking print head in alcohol and vigorous cleaning, etc.. Nothing has worked and the printer is still flashing the same error code.
Is a new printer the only solution? Appreciate an opinion on if the trouble is in the printer itself or the print head. Would a new print head be worth a try?

Announcements