cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new Pixma 10 prints too dark and...

gregallen
Apprentice

Some years ago my ex bought me a Pixma 4700 and it was a great printer, producing gallery quality images straight out of the box. What I saw on my monitor I got on my print. After a couple of years it began printing too dark wasting costly ink. I dealt with it for a while by lightening my images in Photoshop 15% which usually gave me adequate results, though after another year it became impossible to predict how much I should lighten it.

With a photo show coming up in September the time had come to replace my beloved 4700. I decided I wanted to have tabloid sized printing capability. After considerable research I decided on a Canon Pro-10. The reviews were good and it fit within my budget constraints.

I did my first test prints of three different images at 4"X6", A4, and 12"X18". To my dismay out of the box they were too dark,  It took a lot of finagling to get prints that matched the images on the monitor. I printed using manual settings on the  computer, recommended settings from the printer, and Pro 10. None of the prints were as the images appeared on my monitor, and I found no setting that produced consistent results.

The only difference between my new Pro 10 and my P4700 is that with my ability to produce tabloid size prints I'm now wasting a lot of money and burning through more costly ink than ever before. I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I'm missing when I set up image to print?

5 REPLIES 5

Danny

Hi, gregallen!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which apps you've been trying to print from, and which operating system is running on your computer (Windows or Mac, and which version thereof). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

I'm using Windows 7 with an HP Pavillion 25cw monitor and Photoshop CS6. I'm currently shooting an EOS 60D. The monitor is set on default whatever that is. I guess I should check. I'm just surprised that the prints don't match the monitor out of the box like they did with my old printer.

Obviously I'm pretty much of a neophyte.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
This was in response to a PRO-100 question, but principles are the same.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Photo-Printers/I-just-purchased-a-Canon-Pro-100-print...
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the links.

Hello.

The primary difference between the PRO-10 and your older iP4700 is that the PRO-10 uses pigment-based inks.  The dye-based inks used in most printers such as the iP4700 produce "brighter" results in the eyes of the average user.  

To ensure that the PRO-10 is working properly, we recommend that you contact our support group.  Please use the link below.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements