cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I unclog the printhead of a Pro 9500 printer? It's too clogged for the printer utility.

artjewel
Contributor

Hi,

How can I unclog the printhead on a Pro 9500 printer? The printer utility cannot do it. It's too clogged for that and just uses up the ink without unclogging it. I tried the "Magic Inkjet Flush" but that didn't completely clear it. I wasted a lot of ink in the process. I'm thinking of just taking the printhead out and somehow soak it in an ammonia solution. Is there a way of doing this and will it work?

Thanks,

Bill

5 REPLIES 5

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello artjewel.

Unfortunately, we cannot recommend that any parts are physically cleaned.  We can only recommend that the Cleaning and Deep Cleaning options in the printer maintenance section are used.

If the quality issues persist once these cleanings have been done, please contact our support group using the link below for additional assistance.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks, but I already contacted Canon support and basically, their solution is to get a new printhead.

Unfortunately, that's a bit of an expensive solution for an already expensive printer from which I've gotten very little use.

Bill

I can sympathize with your issue but can't recommend a solution. I have an older Canon S9000 printer which I paid approxximately $500 for. It was the top-of-the-line Canon Inkjet at one time. The printhead clogged because the printer was only used a few times a month. The replacement head was too expensive to warrant purchasing and is no longer available anyway. So my printer is now a useless paperweight on my desk. 

Canon should look into designing printheads that don't clog for those of us who only print occasionally and can't afford expensive repairs.

Canon is not going to give us such a simple or inexpensive solution.  They're in the biz of making money, not saving us any,.  The way of the world.  What I'd like to know is what liquid would dissolve hardened ink?  I suspect that something which doesn't damage either hard plastic would possibly work by submerging the unit for some length of time and letting the hardened ink be dissolved.  Certain worth a try.  Getting the printhead out is a snap.

I'm also beginning to see why there are so many Canon printers on sale on Ebay WITHOUT print heads!!!

Announcements