cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hahnemuehle metallic PR paper printing dull in pro 100

sunrunner66
Apprentice

Hi, I'm new to this forum after recently purchasing a Pro 100 and am wondering if anyone else has issues with Hahnemuehle metallic photo rag paper printing dull. All my other prints on various papers have come out great with the exception of this paper. I've downloaded their ICC profile as well as tried different profiles and paper setting to no avail. Thanks. My apologies if this topic has been previously dicussed but I can't find it in the search. 

Nikon D750, Nikon 20mm, Nikon 50mm, Nikon SB600, SB700, Tamron 24-70mm, Tamron 70-200mm, Tamron 150-600mm
5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

That paper definitely doesn't have the pop that other papers have. None of the metallic papers I have tried do. In my limited experience they are specialty papers for certain subjects. If you place a sheet of white paper on the surface you can see how much "darker" the metallic paper is. The textured surface also seem to contribute to a softening of the image.

I use the Hahnemuehle ICC profile and the recommended "Other Glossy Paper" media type.

Using the OutbackPhoto test image, once you put aside the overall appearance, the detail and gradation is very good.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks. I have a metallic print from a pro 1000 that looks fantastic with great depth and contrast so maybe it's just the 100 that can't match that level on the same image compared to a much better printer. I'll keep trying. 

Nikon D750, Nikon 20mm, Nikon 50mm, Nikon SB600, SB700, Tamron 24-70mm, Tamron 70-200mm, Tamron 150-600mm

I think the biggest difference is  pigment ink vs dye ink.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yep. Oh well, it's still a great printer for the price and what I do with it. 

Agree there. Its my only rinter. Color images are stunning. Using Photo Paper Pro Platinum or Pictorico High Gloss Film is very mindful of Cibachrome from color transparency days.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements