cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon pro printers using USB-C

phototocanvas
Apprentice

Hi all-

I recently acquired a Canon ipf9400. Im trying to use it with a 2018 Macbook Pro. It won't print. When I add a printer in the system preferences is recognizes the 9400 as USB, but when I add it and open print utility its says "no printer connected". When I try to print I am met with printing...processing, and it never moves past that. 

I called Canon they told me I could not use a hub or dongle to transfer to USB-C. So I rush ordered a USB-B to USB-C cable and it still doesnt work. Now Canon says I can use a hub. But either way, it doesnt work. Has anyone had any luck printing with a newer Macbook Pro?

2 REPLIES 2

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi phototocanvas,

Is the USB hub that you are using a powered USB hub?

You can also use an ethernet cable to connect your iPF9400 directly to your router and then you can print from your Macbook using a network connection.  Have you tried this?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

phototocanvas
Apprentice
I tried a simple adapter. Then Canon told me no adapters or hubs will work. So upon their direction a rush ordered a straight cable to go from the printer to USB see. That didn’t work. Then I was told by Canon that it should work. Then I was told by Canon that USB-C ports will not work with the IPF 9400 After spending $30 on a cable that you told me to buy. My router is on the other side of my house and I cannot connect it to this printer via Ethernet.. It’s shocking that a $10,000 printer will not work with any MacBook Pro newer than 2016. Seems I have to find a different printer.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements