cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon pro-100 firmware upgrade from 1.1 to 2031

ducmis
Contributor

I havent been using my printer so i haven't been doing my firmwares updates like i should.  I missed 1.2 and 1.3, now i want to update it to the latest firmware and it keeps giving me an error.  I have tried my windows 10 and windows 7 and  both are giving me the same error while updating the firmware.   it shuts down the printer mid way and says it cannot connect to the printer.  no data transfers.   drivers are installed on the computer and it works, and it can print.  i just want to update the firmware.  If someone can kindly help me with this, thank you in advance.

111 REPLIES 111

First, don't assume that's even possible - I was only *speculating* above that the newer PRO-100 version *might* have that feature, like the PRO-100S does in non-US markets. I don't know if that is an option.

Second, Access Point (aka "Ad Hoc") mode is likely not very useful for you. Certainly NOT a fix for home network performance issues. It would cut your printer off from your home wi-fi network - and only allow printing directly from devices near the printer. And if your computer is that close to your printer - well, then you may well consider just using a USB cable.

Right. Been thinking about going to cable. If slowness continues I may do that. Thanks.

@jimre wrote:

First, don't assume that's even possible - I was only *speculating* above that the newer PRO-100 version *might* have that feature, like the PRO-100S does in non-US markets. I don't know if that is an option.

Second, Access Point (aka "Ad Hoc") mode is likely not very useful for you. Certainly NOT a fix for home network performance issues. It would cut your printer off from your home wi-fi network - and only allow printing directly from devices near the printer. And if your computer is that close to your printer - well, then you may well consider just using a USB cable.

I can confirm that the PRO-100 with 2.001 or 2.031 does NOT have the ad hoc wifi capabilities of the PRO-100S.

Called Canon Support this morning - actually got thru to a helpful person.

Yes, Canon confirms there are TWO different versions of the PRO-100 here in the US.  The older version that I have, shipped with firmware version 1.1. There's a newer version that shipped with firmware 2.01 - which started showing up somewhere in the 2016/17 timeframe.  ONLY the newer version can be updated with this published 1.3 firmware updater.  Canon support says the only *official* way to tell the difference is the serial number of the printer.

Canon support did say they are currently working on a firmware updater for the OLDER version of the PRO-100. But there's no time frame for release - their resources are being impacted by COVID-19 (and presumably their recent ransomware attack, but I didn't ask about that). I did get a promise to send me a notification when the firmware updater for the OLD printers is available.

So if you have firmware 1.1, you're stuck there for now, until they release another firmware update (for old printers).

If you have firmware 2.01, the current published update should successfully get you to firmware 2.031. 

"Canon support did say they are currently working on a firmware updater for the OLDER version of the PRO-100. But there's no time frame for release - their resources are being impacted by COVID-19 (and presumably their recent ransomware attack, but I didn't ask about that). I did get a promise to send me a notification when the firmware updater for the OLD printers is available.

So if you have firmware 1.1, you're stuck there for now, until they release another firmware update (for old printers).

If you have firmware 2.01, the current published update should successfully get you to firmware 2.031."

Good Information, finally! And any PRO-10 users out there, this information will apply to you as well.

I think it is worth mentioning that the PRO-10 has traditionally gotten upgrades in parallel with the PRO-100. My older PRO-10 is on firmware 1.1, and it wouldn't accept the PRO-10 upgrade to 2.031 that was offered. So this thread applies to the pigment ink machines as well.

My PRO-100, as I mentioned before, had FW 2.001 from the factory, and easily upgraded to 2.031.

Then how do they explain several people on this thread with V1.1 units that said they updated to 2.031 successfully?

Is Canon saying that there are two different versions of the OLD PRO-100 printers in addition to a newer PRO-100?

I've only seen one person on this thread claim they successfully updated from firmware 1.1 to 2.031 - larryc43230

CANON is not saying anything about two different "old" versions. They told me there's an old version and a new version of the PRO-100 in US markets. They said the current firmware update only works on the new version.

@mrkevin111 wrote:

Then how do they explain several people on this thread with V1.1 units that said they updated to 2.031 successfully?

Is Canon saying that there are two different versions of the OLD PRO-100 printers in addition to a newer PRO-100?

I swore at lest 2 or 3 people said they went from 1.1 to 2.031 - maybe they had the newer "old" printers 🙂

Rumor has it a Pixma Pro 200 is coming out - maybe we can get a steep discount on that unit due to the mess we've gone through with the Pro 100?

jimre
Enthusiast
The Canon tech I spoke with was pretty clear that SERIAL# was the only reliable way to tell an “old” PRO-100 from a “new” one, not it’s current firmware level. Unfortunately he couldn’t share any data about which serial numbers were which - it seemed like he was typing my serial number into some kind of support tool to get the answer.

It’s suppose it’s possible that larryc43230 had a new printer version that somehow had 1.1 firmware on it.

jimre
Enthusiast
To add to the confusion, Canon decided to have the FIRMWARE UPDATER version be different from the actual FIRMWARE version it was updating to. Thus, you’ll see the current UPDATER in question is Ver 1.3 which updates to firmware 2.031. You’ll also find other UPDATER versions floating around like Ver 1.2b which of course updates the firmware to 1.1. Aaaargh...!
Announcements