cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon pro-100 firmware upgrade from 1.1 to 2031

ducmis
Contributor

I havent been using my printer so i haven't been doing my firmwares updates like i should.  I missed 1.2 and 1.3, now i want to update it to the latest firmware and it keeps giving me an error.  I have tried my windows 10 and windows 7 and  both are giving me the same error while updating the firmware.   it shuts down the printer mid way and says it cannot connect to the printer.  no data transfers.   drivers are installed on the computer and it works, and it can print.  i just want to update the firmware.  If someone can kindly help me with this, thank you in advance.

111 REPLIES 111

If cdxn54's comment about Jose Rodrigues' youtube video is correct, Canon sells more ink if we use the old firmware. This could explain their lack of interest in helping us upgrade.

I've come to the conclusion there are TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS of this printer out there. In some parts of the world, Canon actually changed the model number from PRO-100 to PRO-100S sometime around 2016.   The "S" version seems to have added additional Network & Wi-Fi functions *including the ability to perform firmware updates over the network*.

But here in the US, it seems they just did a "silent" upgrade and kept the same model number - without telling anyone. The original version of the PRO-100 seems to be only capable of upgrading to firmware ver 1.1.  The newer US version (same as PRO-100S?) seems have SHIPPED with firmware ver 2.01 - and THAT version (and apparently ONLY that version) can be updated to 2.031.

Those of us with the original PRO-100 version are probably SOL.

Can anyone confirm or dispute this?  

Your basic conclusion is correct. That was reported here a few years ago by a moderator when the question about some printers having FW 2.01 arose.

It was reported to be related to some different chips in the control boards. There were no new of different features - not an upgrade.

Since no one has reliably stated what changed from 2.01 to 2.031 it really can't be said if the folks with FW 1.1 are SOL.

It was reported on DPReview that someone was told by Canon Europe rep that 2.031 was correcting an issue with the earlier 2.01 FW and it was not needed for FW 1.1 and the posting of the update was an error.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, You're right we don't really yet know the benefits of 2.031. But we know for sure the 2.01 firmware definitely has additional features beyond 1.1 - like network firmware upgrades. At least one person on this thread mentioned simply upgrading their firmware over wi-fi.  So we are defnitely SOL for those at least.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

...Since no one has reliably stated what changed from 2.01 to 2.031 it really can't be said if the folks with FW 1.1 are SOL....

The 100S printers have an actual wifi system, rather than a LAN. That allows additional connectivity.

That's a feature of the printer hardware; not the firmware.

It is possible to access the Pro-100 LAN via its IP address. It asks for a user name and password. I have seen posted that username is ADMIN and password is printer serial number, but that doesn't work for me.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

My original PRO-100 certainly has WI-Fi. What is the difference between "Wi-Fi" and a "Wi-FI System" ?  Confused.

I'm not an expert, but there is apparently a difference between a LAN and a wifi broadcaster.

Annotation 2020-08-20 232632.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Checking manuals. Yes, it appears the PRO-100S can act as a stand-alone wi-fi Access Point. You can choose between Access Point mode and Infrastructure mode (eg, be a client on your router's wi-fi network). The original PRO-100 only has the latter wi-fi option (Infrastructure mode - which they confusingly call "wireless LAN"). 

It would be interesting to see if anyone who has a newer PRO-100 with 2.01 firmware has this wi-fi setup choice or not (Access Point Mode vs Infrastructure Mode). If so, they would be functionally equivalent to a PRO-100S.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I'm not an expert, but there is apparently a difference between a LAN and a wifi broadcaster.

@jimre wrote:

Checking manuals. Yes, it appears the PRO-100S can act as a stand-alone wi-fi Access Point. You can choose between Access Point mode and Infrastructure mode (eg, be a client on your router's wi-fi network). The original PRO-100 only has the latter wi-fi option (Infrastructure mode). 

It would be interesting to see if anyone who has a newer PRO-100 with 2.001 firmware has this wi-fi setup choice or not (Access Point Mode vs Infrastructure Mode). If so, they would be functionally equivalent to a PRO-100S.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I have one that started at 2.01 (US model). The web service is passworded, though, so I can't poke around.

But, I can tell you that it behaves exactly like my Pro-10, which is older, and which has firmware version 1.13, and refuses to update to the newer 2.031 that was issued for it as well.

Hello. I've been reading all this with great interest.  I have been able to get the newest 2.031 firmware but recently the printer has been working very slowly and I sometimes get a communications error message about signal strength. Even adding a booster (an Airport Express) near the printer doesn't seem to help as it should.  I printed a Network Configuration Page which shows a 52% signal strength, not very good apparently.   My mode is "Infrastructure."  I wonder if the access point choice would be better. Is it possible to change the mode at this time or only during initial setup?

You all may know how to get the Network Config. Page but for those who don't:  Turn the printer on, press the button under the start button and hold it for six flashes of the white then.  Release it after 6 and the printer will quickly deliver the Network Config. Page.

Announcements